Speed Dating Your Prospective Professors
Isabella Acierno, Outreach Manager • April 29, 2024

What’s up Doc?

Many students go to college for four years and are still undecided about their future. But, for St. John’s University senior Gulle Awan, that isn’t the case.

“I wanted to be a doctor since the second grade,” the biology major said. “If you fell, I would always be there to put the Band-Aid on. I’ve always wanted to be a doctor because, to me, there is no greater pleasure than the ability to use one’s intellect and abilities to alleviate human pain and suffering.”

While boasting a 3.9 grade point average, Awan has also been involved in various extracurricular activities and has received numerous honors in her four years at St. John’s. She is a member of several honor societies, including Golden Key National, Phi Eta Sigma National, Pre-Medical Watson and Roger Bacon Scientific.

One of Awan’s biggest accomplishments took place during her sophomore year, when math professor Bill Watson chose her out of more than 200 science majors to work as a mentor for the Summer 2000 Science Experience and Mentoring Program for high school students. She served as a role model for younger students who were interested in going into the field of science and also served as an assistant to biology professor Frank Cantelmo.

“Being selected for this program out of over 200 science majors by one of my professors is what I consider to be one of the greatest honors and my most significant accomplishment at St. John’s University,” the 21-year-old said.

For the past year, she has been a member of the Office of Admissions’ Student Ambassador Program and has tutored biology and chemistry at the Tutoring Center. Her duties as a student ambassador include providing prospective students with campus tours, helping out with open houses and supporting admission receptions. Sometimes, she is even selected to be “shadowed” by a high school student for the day to give them a first-hand look at the college experience and to see if they like the University.

Upon graduation in May, Awan plans to attend medical school. She has been a volunteer for the last two years in the emergency rooms at Long Island College Hospital and St. John’s Queens Hospital. There, she spent most of her time in the medical and surgical trauma areas, helping with EKGs, IVs and blood gases. She also feeds and interacts with patients, and helps them get in touch with doctors and the nursing staff whenever their assistance is necessary.

“To get into medical school they want you to have volunteer work to see if you can work with sick people in a hospital,” she said. “Good grades help, but you can’t get into medical school just with grades. You need to be involved.”

Due to her hectic schedule, Awan rarely has any free time. But when she does, she enjoys talking with her friends, walking with her mother, watching television and collecting stamps.