Men’s golf places second at

Men’s Golf

The men’s golf team was impressive this Friday and Saturday at the Rutgers Invitational tournament in Piscataway, N.J. St. John’s was among the thirteen teams in competition last weekend, with foes including tournament host Rutgers, as well as Columbia University.

Led by freshmen Kevin Velardo and George Zolotas, as well as sophomore Keegan Bradley, the Red Storm finished the first round of play at Rutgers Golf Course in second place overall. St. John’s head coach Frank Darby was quick to point however that this was not an individual effort by any means.

“They all played well,” he said when asked who the key Red Storm golfers were.

St. John’s finished the weekend six under par for the tournament after round two. That left the Red Storm in second place, behind only Columbia, who won the tournament by only four strokes.

Darby considered shooting six under par as a team to be “pivotal,” and that it “showed people what kind of team we have”.

Darby thought of the outcome as “very fulfilling” and was very happy with the way the weekend went. He is looking forward to next week when St. John’s will take part in the McLaughlin in Farmingdale, N.Y.

When asked what he would look to improve on for future matches, Darby noted the team needed “just a little experience,” as the team is still very young for the most part.

However, the team is highly skilled and is looking forward to a highly competitive season in 2005-2006.

Women’s Golf

Meanwhile, women’s golf finished sixth overall at the Dartmouth Invitational this weekend. Christin Thomson had the best finish for the Red Storm, coming in sixth place.

She shot a nine over par with a total of 153 for the weekend.

Sophomore Brittany Lambertson also finished strong for St. John’s with a combined 156. Coming up next weekend, the St. John’s women will compete in the Princeton Invitational.