Storm dropped in Sweet 16

Maryland’s Stephen King scored a pair of goals, including the game-winner in the 63rd minute, as the top-seeded Terrapins knocked off St. John’s in the third round of the NCAA Tournament in College Park, Md. on Sunday afternoon. Robbie Rogers scored a goal with eight seconds remaining to give Maryland a two-goal lead in a game that was more closely contested than the final score would suggest. Sebastian Alvarado-Ralph scored the Red Storm’s lone goal, his career-high fifth of the season, and goalkeeper Jason Landers (Lower Gwynedd, Pa.) made four saves in the loss.

Maryland struck first on its first shot opportunity of the game, as Stephen King blasted a shot past a diving Jason Landers from the top of the St. John’s box. Freshman forward Robbie Rogers carried up the sideline and sent a left-footed cross through the St. John’s box. Senior Marc Burch controlled the pass with his back to the goal and touched it back to King, who ran onto it and sent a one-timed shot into the upper right corner of the net.

The Terrapins got another quick chance, as Burch got loose for a one-on-one with Landers just minutes later. Landers anticipated and slid out to take the ball off Burch’s foot.

St. John’s countered with an equalizer in the 26th minute off a strike by Sebastian Alvarado-Ralph. Freshman Tony Beltran put a cross into Matt Groenwald in the Maryland box, who flicked it on to Alvarado-Ralph at the far post. The senior forward converted with a hard shot to the high side and past Terrapin keeper Chris Seitz. The score set new career-highs for Alvarado-Ralph in both goals (five) and points (15) in a single season and tied the game at 1-1.

The teams traded opportunities the rest of the period, with Seitz turning away several quality chances by St. John’s. Seitz saved shots on goal by Alvarado-Ralph, Andre Schmid and Billy Hole to keep the game tied at one apiece heading into the intermission. The Red Storm put four of its five total shots in the period on goal, and Landers saved two of the three shots on goal he faced.

Maryland stormed out of the gates at the start of the second period, firing six shots at the St. John’s net in the first 18 minutes and converting at the 27:08 mark to take a 2-1 lead. Landers denied the first two shots on goal he faced, but King broke through with a shot from 10 yards out off a cross from Burch with just over 27 minutes to play.

St. John’s got pressure late, as Maryland sat back in its defensive zone. The best of those chances came in the 82nd minute, when Schmid went up high on a cross by Jeff Carroll in front of the Maryland net. The senior made solid contact, but hit the bottom of the crossbar with his header attempt. The rebound bounced out to Ben Shuleva, but his shot attempt sailed wide of the goal.

"That was just a great ball by Jeff [Carroll]," St. John’s coach Dave Masur said in a postgame press conference. "Andre [Schmid] did great to get his head on it. It’s just a shame for us he couldn’t find the back of the net."

Maryland topped off the win in the final seconds with a goal by Robbie Rogers. Rodgers chipped a pass from Jason Garey over Landers from the edge of the goal box. The goal sealed the win and Maryland’s advancement to its fourth straight NCAA Tournament quarterfinal.

"We were proud to come out and represent the school the best we could," said Groenwald, one of six players to have played their last game. "I think I can speak for all the guys not coming back next year when I say that it’s heartbreaking to know we won’t be a part of a program that cares so much about details and about every part of the program."

The Terps will take on No. 9 seed Akron, which advanced on penalty kicks over St. John’s rival, No. 8 Connecticut.