Lax squeaks out victory

St. John’s midfielder Felix Forbes notched the game winning goal with eight minutes remaining, sending the Red Storm off with a 7-5 victory at Lafayette on Saturday afternoon.

St. John’s got off to a fast start in the first quarter with goals from Tom Michaelsen, Tom Manes, and Graeme Gillespie, finishing the first with a 3-0 lead.

Gillespie’s goal, with the assist credited to Michaelsen, came with just five seconds left in the quarter, sending the Red Storm into the second quarter on a strong note.

St. John’s (4-4) began the second quarter strong as well, getting a goal from Jack Rosson at the 14:27 mark to push its lead to 4-0.

However Lafayette (1-7) countered with four consecutive goals of its own, two from John Galassi, to knot the score. All of Lafayette’s second quarter goals came within an eight-minute span, getting them back into the game.

The lone goal of the third quarter came from Lafayette’s Trevor Ortolano at 11:59, tying the score at four, setting up a tense fourth quarter.

The Red Storm took back the lead early in the fourth on Forbes’ first goal. Lafayette responded again though, tying the score again less than five minutes after St. John’s took the lead.

Forbes’ second goal at 8:35 of the fourth would be enough for the St. John’s victory. The score, which came on a superb individual effort, was unassisted as Forbes dodged past multiple Lafayette defenders to bury the ball in the back of the net.

The Red Storm’s Bobby Fitton clinched the victory, scoring the final goal of the contest with just over three minutes remaining to push the lead to 7-5.

St. John’s goalie Dave Saccente recorded 15 saves on the day, while the Red Storm won nine of 15 face-offs and collected two more ground balls than Lafayette.