PERFECT WEEKEND

St. John’s women’s tennis went perfect over the weekend and more then that, they are now on a six-match winning streak.

“These wins are crucial to our confidence,” women’s coach Allison Davidson said. “If we keep on this pattern of winning, I hope to peak for the Big East Tournament.”

St. John’s (8-6, 5-2) defeated Villanova (5-4, 1-1) on Sunday afternoon by a score of 6-1. The Red Storm also improved its home record to 2-0.

St. John’s got off to a quick start when Mariana Chachua and Barbora Blahutiakova took doubles point with a win at the No. 2 position. They defeated Leighann Reilly and Jacklyn Williamson 8-2.

At No. 3, Lauren Lorenzetti and Gabija Gasuinaite shutout Wildcats Melissa Reed and Lindsey Puchyr.

“Lorenzetti has absolutely pulled her weight,” said Davidson. “She’s been great.”

Alison Adamski and Nataly Tumsevica fell to Candice Carlin and Ashley Reed at No. 1 in St. John’s only doubles loss of the day.

In singles matches, Villanova scored its only point with Carlin taking a win over Tumsevica in No. 1 position.

Chachua and Adamski both had sweeps at No. 2 and No. 5, respectively.

“She’s very dependable,” said Davidson of Adamski.

She added: “Her doubles game should be nationally ranked.”

Blahutiakova won at No. 3, defeating Williamson and Lorenzetti defeated Danielle Phillis at No. 4 to improve her personal record to 9-4.

“She’s playing the best tennis she’s ever played,” said Davidson about Lorenzetti.

Ashley Harper finished St. John’s run with a decisive No. 6 victory over Zoe Murrary.

After a rough start, the women’s tennis team has started to round into form.

“Towards the beginning, we had tougher teams. It’s crucial to realize that that’s the ability we are aiming for,” said Davidson.

She added: “The girls are playing strong. They keep getting better each time.”

With great team chemistry and an excellent Big East record, they are well on their way to making a name for themselves.

“We want to be top five in the conference,” said Davidson. “We want to let them know [that] we’re going to be solid rivals in the future.”

Men’s tennis, also playing over the weekend, made their home opener one to remember.

Freshman Alex Svetlakov clinched St. John’s (6-4) win over Stony Brook (6-6).

The men lost in doubles action

but did manage to battle back with singles wins at the No. 1, No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 positions.

Svetlakov topped Jean-Francois Robitaille in a three-set match, the first of which was taken by Robitaille.

Junior Louis Desmarteaux also picked up his 13th win at No. 1. Senior Morgan Bauer won singles in No. 5 by defeating Dave Kortum and junior Claudio Halim beat Matt Jacobsen at No. 6.

St. John’s 4, Rutgers 0

In doubles on Saturday, Adamski and Tumsevica beat Alina Balasa and Dana Gordon. Lorenzetti and Gasiunaite also topped Jill Markowitz and Lauren Edelschein.

Singles featured Tumsevica defeating Katrina Elder-Bush and Blahutiakova over Balasa.

St. John’s 4, Stony Brook 3

On Friday, St. John’s won all three doubles matches.

Lorenzetti defeated Erica Federgreen in singles to give St. John’s its winning point.