Campus Spotlight, Greek Life

For members of Sigma Gamma Rho, being in a sorority means more than just socializing. Community service is a major part of their lives, and they do their best to give back to people in need.

On Sept. 26, this sorority joined other students and volunteered in the eighth annual University Service Day. During this event, students volunteer at soup kitchens, nursing homes and schools in accordance with the University’s Vincentian mission.

The one thing that Charline Mitchell, vice president of the sorority, believes unites all of the women in the sorority is that they are very outgoing and inviting.

They strive to make all women feel welcome, and bond with them before they are officially in the sorority to make sure they feel at home.

Charline explained that women of all backgrounds are welcome in Sigma Gamma Rho.

“Whatever you are good at, you can contribute,” said Mitchell.

In September, the sorority began its involvement in Operation Big Book Bag, where the sorority will donated school supplies like notebooks, pens, textbooks and computers for children in shelters, schools and hospitals.

The organization also plans to have a food drive in October.
With 85,000 members globally, Sigma Gamma Rho has many opportunities to make a difference internationally.

Their partnership with the United Nations allows them to have chapters in places like England, the West Indies and Korea.

“As a sorority, Sigma Gamma Rho does great things, but no matter how many people they help, they always feel the need to do more,” said Mitchell.

“A sense of fulfillment constitutes as one of the countless benefits of joining this lifelong sisterhood,” said Mitchell.

But more than that, this sorority provides opportunities to network, which is critical in the job market.

The requirements to join Sigma Gamma Rho include having at least a 2.5 GPA, letters of recommendation, a letter of interest.
Serving the local community, this sorority holds activities on campus to benefit students. Thursday, Sept. 24, they held an event in which students shared their poetry. Ice cream socials and mixers are also a regular part of their schedules. The program Putting Your Best Paw Forward encourages students to do their best academically.

On Oct. 22 they will host Make Me Over, an activity for female students to come and receive a simple makeover.

Community service does more than simply improve the lives of those being helped. “Being a member of Sigma Gamma Rho is a lifelong commitment,” said Mitchell.