First Listen – Stalley

Kyle Myricks, better known as Stalley, is your humble, all-American kid hailing from the Midwest who has dreams of making his mama proud. Taking a look at what he has accomplished so far and what he has in store for the future, it’s safe to say that Myricks is on the right track. 

From the small town of Massillon, Ohio, Myricks received his nickname “Stalley” on the

basketball courts. “Stalley” is short for “stallion,” the animal that closely characterized his athleticism and work ethic. Stalley made the move to Brooklyn with

basketball on his mind. Set to play college ball for Long Island University, Stalley had a change of plans. He decided to pursue his first love: music.

Goin Apewas the first mixtape he debuted in April of 2008 and made with fellow Ohio native Terry Urban. Last year, his sophomore project MadStalley: The Autobiography

was released. 

In anInfernointerview with Stalley, he said that MadStalley was his favorite project that he had worked on so far.  He felt he had full control over the project and was able to rework all the production to fit exactly with the story he wanted to express. 

Stalley is currently working on his latest project, Lincoln Way Nights (Intelligent Trunk Music), which is scheduled for release on Oct. 30.

With a couple of solid albums under his belt, Stalley has also built a reputation on stage. He has performed alongside some of hip-hop’s finest, including KRS-One, Ghostface Killah, Styles P, Method Man, Redman, Freeway and Camp Lo.  Stalley has also headlined shows in Ohio, New York City and New Orleans, and performed in the Rock the Bells, and Sneaker Pimps tours, and the South by Southwest Festival.

While working on his music, Stalley became well acquainted with hip-hop mogul Dame Dash. Having been introduced to Dash through a mutual friend, he welcomed Stalley into DD172, Dash’s creative loft that houses a studio, an art gallery and company office, where Stalley made music to further his career. Having been given the opportunity to work with well-known producer Ski Beatz resulted in timeless music and has aided in transforming Stalley into the artist he is today. 

Since his acceptance into DD172, Stalley has had the chance to work with artists such as Mos Def, Jay Electronica, Curren$y and The Cool Kids. Stalley will also be featured on Beatz’s latest project, 24 Hour Karate School, a mixtape which will showcase a variety of talented music artists.

By the end of this year, Stalley will bereleasing a free album for his fans,

continuing his work with Creative Control (also part of Dame’s DD17 movement) and launching his own site. He will also be featured in a commercial for Def Jam’s “Rap Star” video game that will be released Oct. 5.

With the progress Stalley has made we can only expect more and better from this rising hip-hop artist.