PR Student Society Comes to STJ

Public Relations, advertising, marketing, communication and similar majors have a new option when it comes to pursuing their interests at St. John’s. It’s called the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) and is growing every day.

PRSSA is an organization founded on the Queens campus in September 2011 and this semester, it was approved by SGI as a budgetary organization.

The goal of PRSSA is, “To provide a learning experience that fully connects academics and professional practice in public relations.”

This pre-professional organization has chapters all over the nation and falls under the umbrella of the professional organization entitled, The Public Relations Society of America (PRSA). The national organization’s main goal is to, “Seek to develop and guide ethical and skillful communication professionals.”

Daria Copia is the current president of the organization and has been a member since it was founded.

“The Public Relations Student Society of America is great for networking with many other Public Relations students not only on campus but also those nationally,” she said.

For her, that the PRSSA provides benefits that go beyond what a typical campus organization offers.

“It’s different than just being involved in an on-campus organization,” she said. “It benefits members after graduation as well and not just current STJ students.”

Those in the society have the opportunity to be considered for internships that others are not afforded and  get a chance to both build their resumes and work on press release writing.

This semester, the PRSSA will have both resume and press release writing workshops for its members, giving PR-savvy studens an opportunity to network with many people going into the same field.

The PRSSA accepts applications each semester. All application materials as well as the $60 membership fee must be turned into Margaret Huber in Bent 391 by today, February 20, 2013 in order to be considered for joining PRSSA for the Spring 2013 semester. The application can be found online at any of the below websites and check and money orders can be made payable to “St. John’s University PRSSA”.

For more information regarding the Pre-Professional and the Professional Chapters, visit prsa.org and prssa.org. Information specifically about the St. John’s Chapter of The Public Relations Student Society of America can be found at  brainfeed.portfoliovilliage.com. You can also email the organization at [email protected] or visit its Facebook page at Public Relations Student Society of America – STJ.