Empanadas Café

Torch Photo/Lauren Eden
Torch Photo/Lauren Eden

Queens, N.Y. is one of the most diverse places in the world, as well as one of the most underrated food destinations. You can find nearly all types of authentic cuisines in New York City’s largest borough for a reasonable price.

Ditch the swanky, white table-clothed date night in Manhattan that’ll put your bank account back $100 and be adventurous in Flushing, Jackson Heights, Astoria, etc. for quality eats that’ll keep your wallet full. This is especially relevant for us college students who might want to be extra cautious when it comes to spending.

I found myself craving some quality empanadas. After doing a little research, I found Empanadas Café located in Corona, just a short 10-minute drive from St. John’s campus. I brought a friend along for this food adventure and, while walking down the block towards our destination, we were suddenly hit by an amazing, intoxicating smell. We realized it was coming from Empanadas Café and our excitement level went through the roof.

Empanadas Café serves over 25 different savory and sweet empanadas that range in price from $1.30 to $2.10. The options on the menu are either made with corn flour, white flour or whole grain four.

My friend and I decided to split four different empanadas. We ordered ground chicken made with white flour, spinach and ricotta made with white flour, shrimp made with corn flour and cheese and jalapenos made with whole grain flour.

We were lucky enough to snag one of the two tables that the restaurant has, which probably had to do with the fact that we ventured outside during a hurricane.

If I could describe these empanadas in four words, those words would be “little pockets of heaven.” The great thing about them is their versatility. They’re small enough that, if you order one, you can treat it as a between-meal snack or you can order more to make it an actual lunch/dinner.

Although we loved every flavor we tried, the ones that stood out were definitely the shrimp made with corn flour and the spinach and ricotta made with white flour. The hot filling and crispy shell provided an explosion of flavor for our taste buds, and the addition of complimentary green hot sauce gave the empanadas a delightful kick.

Between the two of us, we spent less than $11.00 and received four delicious empanadas and two drinks, a price that can’t be beat.

Go to Empanadas Café, stuff yourself with its goodness and thank me later.