Torch Briefs

STJ Show Choir shows their love

Vocal Motion Show Choir will be putting on their second performance this Friday in the Little Theater.

“Songs for the Heart” is a charity event that will be comprised entirely of love songs in honor of Valentine’s Day and the organization’s chosen charity, the American Heart Association.

February, in addition to being the month of Valentine’s Day, is also National Heart Month, which helped Vocal Motion to guide their song selection.

“The theme of songs for the heart becomes twofold, then,” said Justine Woods, the president and the founder of the organization.  “Not only are they songs for the heart in the sense of love being a heartwarming emotion, but the proceeds all go to heart health via the American Heart association.”

Woods, a senior, said that there will be two full cast numbers, as well as solo, duet and small group performances. Songs will range from Broadway numbers to pop and even an original song by one of the group’s members.

Rock the Red!

Women in Sports Day  returns to campus

The women’s basketall team and the department of Student Life will host the 14th Annual Women in Sports Day Saturday, Feb. 26, in Marillac Terrace.

After the team’s game against he University of Pittsburgh, the annual dinner and awards ceremony will honor St. John’s athletes.

Former U.S. Olympian Kristine Lilly, who played for the National Soccer Team, will speak at the event.

For more information on the event, visit www.stjohns.edu/events.