University Welcomes Families Over Weekend

Students’ relatives got a taste for life at the University during Family Weekend, which spanned from Oct. 14 to the 16.

Families had the opportunity to enjoy the University’s recreational activities on Oct. 14 with a Meet the Red Storm Athletic Coaches Reception and basketball Tip-Off event. There was also a women’s soccer game vs. Marquette, which freshman Emily Lipe’s family said more than justified their trip from Pennsylvania.

On Oct. 15, parents of freshmen became acquainted with their children’s academic life through an informational Family Weekend Introduction at the D’Angelo Center following a brunch at Montgoris.

The introduction was led by Dr. Jacqueline Grogan, associate provost and director for Learning Communities. Before the assembly began, freshmen sat at tables with their mothers, fathers and siblings making small talk with University representatives about local restaurants and shops.

Dr. Grogan began the session by thanking parents for “trusting us with your children’s education,” something she called an “awesome responsibility.”

Dr. Grogan went on to address what their children have been up to since starting at the University, including explaining that recent midterms may have been the reason for any over-the-phone stress. She highlighted the at times difficult transition from high school to college, where curriculum moves a lot faster and outlined how to go about setting goals after midterms in order to maintain or improve grades.

University support centers were also a key topic on Dr. Grogan’s agenda. She explained how the Freshman Center, University Learning Commons and the Writing Center can make fast paced college courses easier to handle. She also spoke highly of the Global Languages and Culture Center and encouraged international education opportunities.

“The world is getting smaller and smaller, so we want [students] to have the opportunity to go abroad,” Dr. Grogan said.

Dr. Grogan concluded her address by going over important upcoming dates along with explaining how to register for spring classes and renew FAFSA forms.

“We want exactly what you want for your son or daughter,” Dr. Grogan said in closing, “to be academically successful and to be engaged on campus.”

After the informational session, families and students were entertained by mind-reading entertainer Robert Channing in his act called “The Mentalist.”

Later that day, freshman had the opportunity to accompany their families to two more showings of “Little Shop of Horrors” as well as the men’s soccer game vs. Louisville.

Family Weekend concluded on Oct. 16 with the Breast Cancer Walk at Flushing Meadow Corona Park, two masses at St. Thomas More and an afternoon matinee of “Little Shop of Horrors.”