SGI approves four new organizations

Student Government Incorporated approved four new organizations during their bi-weekly floor meeting Nov. 21.

Voting members of SGI and the executive board listened to nine organizations give a five minute presentation on why they should be approved by the floor. Following the presentation the floor was given five minutes to ask the members of the organizations questions regarding how they would benefit the University and what they would do with their budget.

The Student Athlete Advisory Committee, Math Club, Sports Management Association, and Entrepreneurial Society were all approved and will become active during the Spring 2012 semester. As an active organization recognized by SGI, the new groups will have access to Org Sync, have a set budget given by SGI and be able to reserve rooms on campus for their events.

The Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) is an organization comprised of student athletes. SAAC’s goal is to increase the engagement between student athletes and non-athletic students. NCAA rules and regulations mandate that there be a SAAC group on every campus recognized the organization. Although SAAC has existed in the University, they said that recognition by SGI will help them “get out of the Carnesecca bubble,” and increase the interaction with other students on campus.

The Math Club was looking to regain standing with SGI, after losing recognition back in 2009. Members of the Math Club executive board said that lack of communication between the then e-board and its members caused a falling out that lost the group its standing. The members said that the constitution of the group now states that one junior be on the E-board in order to keep the transition smooth from year to year. The organization hopes to sponsor events and academic lectures on campus that focus around mathematics.

Sports Management Association’s main goal is to give access to students from all majors to the sports industry. Floor member Kamya Chandra questioned how the group would be able to benefit those who have absolutely no interest in sports. President Barney Carleton said that experience in the sports industry has the ability to transcend into other fields such as filming live interviews or working in backstage production. The association has been active on campus but said that recognition by SGI will help to give it more publicity and the chance for more student activities to take place.

The Entrepreneurial Society gave their second presentation in front of the SGI floor after failing to receive recognition in the Spring 2011 semester. Patrick Diamitani said that the reason they failed in the past to receive recognition is that the organizations previous goals were too broad and did not focus enough on helping the University as a whole. The society hopes to give advice and assistance to students of all majors hoping to start their own business. They also plan to invite more speakers to campus with the new budget they will receive.

Groups that were not approved by SGI were Not For Sale, United Nations Alliance, Omicron Delta Kappa, Amnesty International and Phi Alpha Delta.