Even More Room For Activities on Campus

The bi-annual Activities Fair took place January 30 in Taffner Field House. Students had the opportunity to sign up for dozens of social, academic, entertainment or Greek organizations.

Sophomore Jessica Adamek was looking for a club to join, now that she is more acclimated to the University. “Freshman year was busier than right now,” she said. “I was busy enough trying to conform to college life.”

Freshman Arturo Peno said he was mostly looking for religious or dance groups to join. “I just really want to meet new people and plus dancing is something that I really enjoy doing.”

Peno also said that joining a club would be a good way for him to spend his free time.

Haraya, the Pan-African Students Coalition, was one of the groups present at the fair.  Vice President of Activities Erica St. Surin said she was looking for dedicated people to sign up. “Last year we had over 2,000 hours of community service,” she said. “We’re just looking for people who are attentive and always want to help out.”

One of the newer groups present at the fair was the Arab Students Association. The group was decommissioned more than a year ago after what ASA Vice President Najwa Sobti said was a miscommunication between the old executive board and the University. The ASA was reinstated just last semester.
Sobti said the ASA is now trying to focus on gaining new members to keep the group strong. “We’re going to put more attack on searching for individuals who are interested in learning about the Arab culture,” she said. “We’re trying to break barriers and bring more understanding of what it’s like to be both an Arab and an American.”

Greg Mitchell, president of the St. John’s chapter of College Republicans, said the majority of people who sign up for his group come from the Activities Fair. “We have a Facebook page and we’re about to set up a Twitter,” he added.

Mitchell said he wanted members who are aware of the political situation in the country right now. “We want people who will be actively involved,” he said. Mitchell said the group teaches its members “how they can have a direct impact on what’s going on in our political situation.”

Mitchell said former St. John’s College Republicans have gone on to be elected to government positions, including New York City Councilman Dan Halloran and Congressional Representative Bob Turner, whose district includes the University.

St. John’s Alumnus Karen Cummings, ‘92,  represented the New York Organ Donor Network. The organization  is teaming up with University Community Relations to help “spread awareness for the need of life saving organ donations,” she said.

Cummings said the Organ Donor Network will be back at the University in early March for a week of events including speeches, presentations and sign up drives for students to become organ donors.

Activitiees fair attendees received free food fom Strawberry’s Sports Grill, which has locations in Queens and Long Island. The restaurant is owned by former baseball player Daryl Strawberry.