Incoming freshmen preview college experience

Accepted students for the class of 2016 came to the University to meet with current students, tour the campus and become familiar with some of the clubs and activities that are avalaible.

Throughout the day, several people voiced concerns they had about making the move from high school to college.

The incoming freshmen were able to meet with members of Greek life and honor societies and received information on social and academic clubs. The prospective students and their parents were provided insight into both the academics on campus and the extracurricular activities available to join.

As the afternoon progressed, incoming students were given pamphlets and were allowed to ask questions to several student leaders.

Team RV president Adela Ruiz said she was frequently asked about grade point minimums for various activities and leadership positions.

“Are there any academic requirements to join extracurricular activities?” was the most common inquiry, she said. “Students seemed eager to get involved, but hesitant to overextend themselves,” she said. “There was much more caution in committing to organizations than I remember seeing at my own freshman activities fair.”

Taylor Tinkaine, a varsity soccer player from Rochester, said he felt overwhelmed by all the information he was presented with.

“It all seems so soon and there’s so much to absorb,” he said, showing off the pamphlets he had received that day so far.

“I’m still not sure what organizations I should join,” he said. “I don’t want to get too involved in something I’m not passionate about, but I don’t know what exactly I’m most passionate about yet.”

This sentiment was shared among other students at the event.

Incoming freshman Kristoffer Parker, a prospective film major hoping to go into entertainment law, voiced similar concerns.

“I don’t know how easy it will be to balance legal clubs with film clubs,” he said.

Despite the concerns, most of the incoming freshmen seemed more excited than nervous. Pi Kappa Phi member Carlos Alvarez mentioned how elated some of the students seemed about Greek life in particular.

“Most of the [prospective] students seemed interested in learning what Greek life is all about,” he said. “I think we’re going to have a really great group of incoming kids for both the school and the organizations they’ll be joining.”

Many of the other organizations present took email addresses and handed out information sheets to keep in touch with those interested in getting involved in the various causes and groups come September. The current students seemed as happy with the event as the prospective students were.

“The group of kids who showed up make me all the more excited for next year,” junior senator John Marchi said. “The enthusiasm was apparent and that’s what can really make a college experience worthwhile.”