Students ‘Participate’ in Debate

Students Participate in Debate

The University civic engagement program, PARTICIPATE, hosted a watch party for the second presidential debate that took place yesterday, Oct. 16 at Hofstra University in Hempstead, Long Island.

The event, held in the University’s Welcome Center, was preceded by a mock debate between the University chapters of the College Democrats, College Libertarians and College Republicans. The debate, which centered almost entirely around questions dealing with economic issues, was moderated by Brian Browne, assistant vice president of government relations.

Browne said the potential votes that college students hold are vital to the election process, and that is why the University was looking to get students involved.
“The college vote is such a critical vote,” he said. “Young voters have great voting potential.”

Local TV news station NY1 was present during the watch party to get the opinions of students, including the leaders of both the College Democrats and Republicans,  present at the debate.

Those present at the screening of the debate seemed to lean heavily towards favoring Obama, cheering for many of the statements he made on several of the questions asked. Students showed disinterest in Romney’s responses, taking the time to check their cell phones.

PARTICIPATE was started during the primaries of the previous presidential election, and was restarted due to its success in 2008.

Browne said there will be another watch party held during the last presidential debate, which takes place on Monday, which takes place at Lynn University in Florida, as well as hosting a live watch party during election night, Nov. 6.

Contributing reporting by Samira Korgan, Contributing Writer