SGI Hosts General Assembly Meeting, Votes on Budget

Students also addressed concerns about residence halls, health

SGI Inc. held its general assembly meeting on Monday. THe second gathering of the school year featured the swearing in of the new Sophomore Senator and another votes submitted by the representatives on budgets and new representatives.

The meeting was conducted by SGI President Atem Tazi and the other members of the Executive Board, who all ran on the P.L.U.G ticket last year.

At the start of the meeting, a Century Hall student discussed what she described as a “mold issue” in the residence building.

After the unidentified student asked what was being done, Frank Pepe, Chair of the Research and Development Committee and Chair of Student Services Torrent Cannon said a meeting was in the works at the request of Facilities to discuss the situation.

Tazi then discussed the decision to form a new committee for Student Member of of the Board.

The SMOB committee would consider have a student member on the student affairs committee.

This Ad Hoc committee is still in the works according to Tazi and they are looking for SGI members to join.

In terms of upcoming events for students, the first Organization congress is being planned for Oct. 11.

The Organization Congress features executive board members from each organization on campus to discuss different plans for the year.

Hannah Sesay was sworn in as the new Sophomore Senator, completing the Executive Board.

Sesay previously ran for the position on her own ticket last year and is replacing the P.L.U.G. ticket candidate Amel Viaud, who resigned from her position.

A new addition to the calendar of events for SGI this year is the Common Social Hour, where students will have a chance to talk to SGI members in a “social manner” according to Senior Senator Noel Ball.

The first social hour will be this Thursday  and will be held monthly.

The budgets for all organizations for upcoming events were approved by the voting members of SGI.

Budgets that were approved included the African Student Association’s annual “Rep Ya Flag BBQ” and The Entrepreneur Society of St. John’s “Grow and Glow Vision Board Party” for $97.

New student representatives were voted in by the current SGI representatives.

Voting members consist of two individuals from each college from each year.

Representatives voted in included Senior Kendall Clark of St. John’s College and Sophomore Nitin Basra of the Tobin College of Business.

Other members who could have been voted in as representatives did not show up to the meeting.

The Sustainability Committee had new initiatives that were shared with the members.

Ideas from the committee included alternatives for plastic bags and Dasani water bottles on campus.

The committee is also in the works to get Bent Hall LEED certified since it is currently not a sustainable building.

Two new committees have been formed under SGI, the Equity and Organizations Review Committees.

SGI also voted on a new structure to the Power to Organize section of the constitution, implementing different levels of support from SGI.

Anyone interested in starting an organization must attend one of the three informational meetings.

They will all be held on Oct. 1 in DAC 206 at common hour, Oct. 3 in DAC 306 at 10 AM or Oct. 4 in DAC 206 at 5 PM. Applications open Oct. 5 and close two weeks later.

SGI holds its meetings every other Monday. The next meeting will take place next month on Oct. 8 at 5 pm in DAC 128.