All the Information: SGI’s Latest Meeting

SGI held a general body meeting on Oct. 7. The main points of the meeting included a proposed budget increase in Greek life, information on freshman elections and announcements from the school spirit committee. President Matthew Macatula was not present at the meeting this week due to being sick; because of this, Vice President Clyde Drayton oversaw the meeting. 

Drayton announced that committee membership application will be open until Oct.11. He also is requesting help, especially organizational help, from people who are interested in the health and wellness committee. 

Treasurer Nia Gumbs proposed a budget increase for Panhellenic Life. Greek life requested an increase from $60,000 to $80,000 and SGI is proposing to increase it to only $70,000. Many representatives and committee members questioned the need for the increase due to the large budget Greek Life already has, the inclusion of shirt prices which do not affect the whole student body and their likelihood to overspend between $2-3000 anyway. The budget was tabled and Gumbs suggested to bring in an advisor to explain the budget. 

Secretary Nnaemeka Ifeajekwu announced freshman elections information sessions we’ve held on Oct. 10 and Oct. 14. Senior senator Anna Gibson announced that the senior scholarship is still in the works, but to please contact her with any questions. She also remarked that the committee fair was a success and they have received 80 applications so far. 

From committee reports, the organization committee announced that the levels for SGI recognized organization budgets has changed. The new levels of breakdown are non-advisory, non-budgetary and budgetary. For questions regarding this change, contact Patrick Kohn. Student equity committee had their first general body meeting and it was a success. The meetings will be held on Wednesdays at 4 pm and the next meeting is on Oct. 17. Follow their instagram for all information: @equitycommitteesju. 

On Sunday, Oct. 13, there was a season ticket holder appreciation event in Carnesecca Arena at 2 p.m. The tip-off performer this year: Juice Wrld. Lastly, they will be holding a scarf giveaway on Wednesday, Oct. 23 at the men’s soccer game at 7 p.m and on Sunday, Oct. 27 at the women’s soccer game at 1 p.m. 

Unfortunately, the student affairs/services committee announced the Subway footlong will not return to meal exchange. Dining services said that the meal exchange price has a dollar value, so since Subway does not have the $5 footlong anymore, it cannot reach the value. 

The meeting concluded with the passing of the SGI bylaws for 2019-2020.