Bex in the City: Trip to Tiffany’s

Every little girl wants to be a princess with the nicest jewels and the nicest clothes. I subscribed to British Vogue for a couple of years and had always seen the double-page adverts for all the big names in fashion. But the advert always carried sadness.

The outlets’ stores were in New York.

But I’m here now. I’m in New York City, fashion capital of the world. So when I was asked if I wanted to go
and check out 5th Avenue, I couldn’t help but say yes. It would be crazy to be here and live the dream. The one thing I’ve learnt in this city is that you can do anything your heart desires; it’s only a short ride away. We got on the subway and soon were thrown into the hustle and bustle of the Fashion District. I only had one place on my mind. The one place I had dreamed of going since I bought my first issue of Vogue; Tiffany’s.

Getting dressed up to the nines and parading down 5th Avenue sure enough made me feel like I was one of those girls in the magazines, even if it was just pretend. Walking up, I stared in awe through the shop windows. Louis Vuitton, Prada, Fendi, Gucci; they were all here in front of me, just like it said in they would be.

Now, seeing them right in front of me was like a dream come true, they were suddenly accessible and within my reach. They were real. They were beautiful. They were expensive! But, like I said, today was for pretending. So I forgot my meager student bank account and made my way down to Tiffany’s.

Of course, no trip to Tiffany’s would be complete without the typical tourist ritual of doing a Holly Golightly!  So I stared through the right side window on Fifth Avenue and pretended I was Audrey Hepburn, all glamorous and chic. Admiring the beautiful pieces of jewelry in the window, I felt I had tapped into a piece of New York that was greatly overlooked.

No matter who you are, or where you come from, in this city you can be anyone you want. Today I was the little girl living the dream that I had formed flicking through the pages of a magazine all those years ago. The beauty of it is that you can become lost in the hustle and bustle and play pretend right on the streets, and no one cares because they’re busy making their own lives. In the city, you can be who you want to be, and change it every day. So that’s what I did. Just for one day, I was living my dream, and the next day I could go back to being plain old Becks.