Beza’s shutout lifts Johnnies over Big Red

Senior pitcher Ashley Beza’s strong pitching performance guided St. John’s shutout win over Cornell, 4-0, expanding its winning streak to three straight games.

The Johnnies (11-13) had contributions all over as they responded back after dropping the opening game.  Everything that head coach Kvihaug talked about last week, the Johnnies were able to implement this week with strong pitching and timely hitting.

“We came out and took care of business; everyone contributed all over,” Kvilhaug said. “We’re happy with our play this weekend.”  Kvilaug said.

Ashley Beza was the story of the game and the weekend, going 2-0 tossing back-to-back shutouts. She pitched seven innings, allowing just three hits to earn the win against
Cornell.

“I felt good going in and my previous outings,” Beza said. “I was able to use my curveball and riseball.”

The Johnnies got things rolling in the second inning as freshman utility player Monique Landini drove in Fitzgerald with an RBI single to put the Johnnies up 1-0.  Later in the frame, sophomore designated hitter Carly Williams 2-for-3 drove in Landini with a RBI double to make it 2-0.

“Today was a great game. we were really good from A-to-Z,” Kvilhaug said. “We were able to swing the bats well, have timely hitting and able to steal bases and our defense played fantastic.”

St. John’s was able to score once more in the third inning with Fitzgerald RBI double driving in senior Jackie Reed 1-for-4. The Johnnies tacked on one more run in the six-inning
when Williams’ RBI single to drive in freshman left fielder Brittany Garcia 1-for-2.

“Carly is stepping and having more consistent at-bats,” Kvilhaug said. “For her to come in I am happy with per performance.”

As St. John’s rides a three game winning streak, the Johnnies were also able to take home some awards by sweeping the Big East Weekly awards for their play at the USF-Under Armor showcase. Fitzgerald earned the Big East player of the week and sophomore pitcher Tori Free took home Big East pitcher of the week honors.

The Johnnies will finally play in Jamaica on March 20 against Manhattan at 2 p.m.