Stormcast

Red Storm Women’s Soccer players named to all-region teams

Three St. John’s women’s soccer players were honored for their academic achievements when seniors Nicole Pasciolla and Raelynne Lee were named to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Scholar Athlete second team and junior Jen Leaverton was named to the third team.

On top of her 3.97 GPA, Nicole Pasciolla has also been named 2010-11 CoSIDA/ESPN The Magazine Academic All-American Third Team and finalist for the 2010 Lowes Senior CLASS Award.

Leaverton has a 3.51 GPA in sports management and will return as a starter in 2011. Lee has a 3.42 GPA in environmental studies.

“These three phenomenal student-athletes truly epitomize an understanding of the philosophy that underpins the St. John’s women’s soccer program,” head coach Ian Stone said. “They illustrate our team’s belief of how you do anything is how you do everything, on the field and off.”

As a team, St. John’s earned a 3.59 GPA, good for the NSCAA’s Team Academic Award for the second-straight season.

Baseball ranks second in Preseason Big East Poll

The St. John’s baseball team was ranked in the Big East Preseason Coaches Poll after winning its sixth conference title last year.

Last season St. John’s won 43 games, the best finish in it’s history. Having reached the NCAA tournament, the school bowed out in the Charlotte regionals.

The Red Storm were picked behind Connecticut, which advanced to its third-straight conference championship series and reached the Regional round of the NCAA Tournament last year.

Jeremy Baltz selection to the pre season all Big East team is another accolade in a list that grows linfer by the day. He has also been named to the NCBWA first team and Louisville Slugger second team. In 2010 he was named Big East Rookie of the Year after batting .396 with 24 home runs and 85 RBI his freshman season. He was honored as a consensus All-American for his effort.

Kyle Hansen added to his effective 2010 campaign in which he went 8-3 with a 3.71 ERA and 85 strikeouts in 94.2 IP by being named the Big East Tournament’s Most Outstanding Player. He has also been honored with third team pre season All-America honors from Louisville Slugger.

The 2011 campaign begins February 18th against Big Ten champion University of Minnesota in the Big East-Big Ten Challenge.

Dance team finishes second at Disney

The Red Storm had its best finish ever at the 2011 College Cheerleading and Dance Team National Championship held at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports Complex at Kissimee, Fl. last weekend, bringing home the second-place trophy in the Division I Hip Hop division.

The team finished .5 points behind the University of Delaware, and greatly improved upon last year’s 11th-place finish.

“This team has worked wonderfully together all year and met and exceeded our expectations,” said ninth-year head coach Christine McCarton.