Track and Field roundup

A day after the Women’s Track and Field team saw fourteen of their players end a Friday afternoon with top-10 finishes at the Armory, the Red Storm returned to the world-class Manhattan facility on Jan. 16 in search of similar success.

By day’s end, the Red Storm finished fifth overall in the fourteen-team meet, as St. John’s scored 47 total points while falling out of scoring range in just six events.

Senior Priscilla Frederick led the way in the high jump, reaching a first-place height of 1.82 meters, just .02 shy of her career-best and school-record 1.84 meters. The New Jersey native also competed in the hurdles (9.36 seconds) and in the long jump (5.32 meters).

Junior Chanel King registered a distance of 13.18 meters in the shot put and 16.94 meters in the weight throw, earning a second-place finish in both events.

Senior Bintou Dibba finished fourth in the long jump, recording a season-best 5.64 meters.

Freshman Angela Onye qualified for the ECAC championships with her performance in the weight throw. Finishing fourth in the event, Onye recorded a season-best 16.17 meters.

The 4×800 relay team of senior Sarah Sudbury, redshirt sophomore Nicole Cocozza, redshirt freshman Michelle Duffy and sophomore Alexis Bean earned six points, with a third-place finish of 9:52:38.

Three St. John’s middle-to-long distance racers finished the day with top ten finishes, highlighted by Sudbury and her sixth-place performance in the 800-meter race, earning three points with a 2:19:80 time. Duffy also placed ninth in the 1,000 meters by finishing at 2:19:80, earning three points. Cocozza was ninth in the mile at 5:12:52.

St. John’s returns to the New York Armory on Jan. 29 for the annual Metropolitan Championships, a meet the team has won in each of the last three seasons.