Baseball team walks off with win

The St. John’s baseball team won its relocated game against Fairfield on March 15 as sophomore Jeremy Baltz’s single in the 10th inning gave the Red Storm a 2-1 win at Jack Kaiser Stadium.

With the Red Storm and Stags deadlocked at one apiece, Baltz broke through to help the Red Storm win their ninth-consecutive home opener.

“Today it is just difficult to hit,” said St John’s skipper Ed Blankmeyer on the team’s early troubles at the plate. “Some of our balls were hit real well. When you play on a windier or cold day and the ball is not traveling with the new bats, you can’t put the ball in air.”

With a 1-0 lead, Fairfield junior and opening day starter Scott Warwick took a no-hitter into the sixth until Joe Witowski got the Johnnies on the basepaths. Sophomore Jimmy Brennan then hit a fielder’s choice that sent Witowski to second, who tagged and went to third on a fly ball. He scored on a passed ball.

The run eliminated the possibility of junior starter Brendan Lobban of getting the loss, who hit the showers having pitched five innings in his third start of the season, allowing one earned run, walking two and striking out four in throwing 86 pitches.

Baltz and junior second baseman Matt Wessinger had two hits apiece. Sophomore Sean O’Hare walked three times.

Sophomore Sean Hagan made his fifth appearance of the year to retire 14 of the 16 batters he faced. He struck out one and walked one, halting Fairfield’s bats.

Despite the Red Storm’s offensive struggles, Blankmeyer stayed positive about the team breaking a four-game losing streak.

“Were definitely trying to still build confidence. Last year it took us a little bit to come together as a team. I’m not saying I want that to happen again this year. Hopefully this one will put us in the right direction.”

The Red Storm (5-6) return to Kaiser Stadium on March 16 to take on Albany.