Women’s Soccer welcomes four recruits for upcoming season

The St. John’s women’s soccer team announced its recruiting class for the upcoming season, which it hopes will add depth to an already young roster.

Forwards Chelsey Martino and Caitlyn McLaughlin, and midfielders Deanna Murino and Samantha Whitehead will be making their way to Queens this fall to help the Red Storm get back into contention for the Big East crown.

Martino was a 2010 ESPN Rise All-Massachusetts All-Star, helping Farmingham (Mass.) high school to three consecutive state championships. She was also a four-time All-Bay State League all-star.

Murino, the younger sister of current Red Storm soccer player Michelle Murino, is a midfielder ranked No. 11 in New York State’s Regional Top 20.  She was named All-Suffolk County four consecutive times and was named to the All-New York state team three times. Forward McLaughlin, who hails from Fairfax Station, Va., Played four seasons at South County High School, and also played for the FPYC-FCV Explosion since 2009, where she was named to the ECNL All-Tournament Team at the Players Development Academy Memorial Day Showcase.

Coming all the way from Pasadena, Calif., is midfielder Samantha Whitehead. Whitehead played five seasons with the Los Angeles Futbol Club, and comes from LaSalle High School. She was named the 2009 LaSalle team MVP, and earned a spot in the LaSalle High School Hall of Fame after the 2010 season. Her other accolades include being named first-team All-Del Rey

League for three seasons, and was first team All-Division IV California Interscholastic Foundation from 2009-2010.