Rain shortens Softball’s series with Hoyas

As heavy rains fell over the nation’s capital, the St. John’s softball team’s five-game series against Georgetown in Washington, D.C. needed a massive change in scheduling.

Rather than play doubleheaders on Saturday, April 16 and Sunday, April 17 before concluding with a single game on April 18, the Red Storm were limited to just one  doubleheader on Sunday.

St. John’s and Georgetown split the series, with the Red Storm taking the first game 8-7 and the Hoyas run-ruling the Johnnies in five innings 10-2 in the second.

The Red Storm’s series against Georgetown followed a doubleheader at Red Storm Field on April 16 against Villanova, of which the Johnnies won both games.

Sophomore outfielder Amber Curry was named to the weekly Big East Honor Roll with her performance against Villanova and Georgetown. She became the third St. John’s player to make the list, and her selection marked the fourth time this season a St. John’s player has made the list.

St. John’s 8, Georgetown 7

After falling behind 7-3 to the Hoyas late in the game, the Red Storm came back with a five-run seventh that was capped by a grand slam from freshman first baseman Myriah Rodgers.

Junior Julia Sanchez, senior outfielder Chelsea Durning and junior Fachon Jones opened the Red Storm’s final frame with consecutive singles before Georgetown pitcher Mackensey Carter forced Curry to induce the infield fly rule with a pop-up and struck out junior Kristi Cady. Chrissy Montez then drew a bases-loaded walk that scored Sanchez and brought Rodgers to the plate.

Rodgers went 2-for-4 and had six RBI. Montez went 2-for-3 with two RBI and three runs scored.

The Red Storm’s excitement came on the heels of a four-run sixth by the Hoyas, during which Georgetown took a 7-3 lead  largely due to four St. John’s errors.     

The Hoyas’ Rachel Nersesian singled with one out and advanced to third on a throwing error by Cady in center field. Two batters later, Regan Page singled in Nersesian, breaking a 3-3 tie. Later in the inning, Shikara Lowe reached on a fielder’s choice that resulted in an error, and another run scored as St. John’s starter Ashley Beza was called for interference as Page scored

on the play. Two more runs scored when the next batter, Jenna Stark, reached on an error.

Beza threw seven innings, allowing seven runs on as many hits. She struck out five.

Georgetown 10, St. John’s 2

The Hoyas scored three runs in the first inning of the second game and tacked on two more in the fourth before exploding for a five-run fifth inning to run-rule the Red Storm.

The Hoyas opened their scoring as Stark singled in Callie Edward, then advanced to third on a throwing error. Two batters later, St. John’s starter Aleshia Link missed on a pickoff attempt, and Lowe scored on a throwing error by Montez, the catcher. Page then singled in Stark.

Though the Red Storm got on the board when Curry hit a solo home run to lead off the fourth, back-to-back doubles by Lowe and Stark in the bottom of the inning plate extended Georgetown’s lead.

Curry went 2-for-3 for the Red Storm, driving in both St. John’s runs. Her double with two outs in the fifth accounted for the other St. John’s run.

The Hoyas opened the floodgates in the fifth, as Rodgers relieved Link. With the bases loaded, Nersesian scored on a wild pitch and Eward singled in a run. Lowe then singled in two runs and Stark ended the game with an RBI single.

Link struck out two and allowed five earned runs over four innings. Rodgers allowed three over 2/3 innings.