Big East Rough Patch

The women’s volleyball team was defeated by Big East rival Pittsburgh in straight sets. (21-25, 21-25, 14-25) Friday.

The Red Storm (17-7, 4-4) were unable to overcome errors in each set, accumulating only 35 kills to 18 errors (0.175 pct). While the Panthers (12-10, 4-5), added 49 kills to only 12 errors (0.366pct).

“Their offense really got us out of rhythm, they ran an offense with multiple hitters and our block was just not on time and sometimes it just wasn’t functioning the way it needed to be function,” said St John’s head coach Joanne Persico. “Defensively we had some holes, and once we got down it was really difficult to change the momentum, and I think the end of third set we just got frustrated and the score reflects that. We knew what they were going to run, and we just couldn’t stop it.”

The Johnnies now move to 4-4 in Big East play. After a quick start to the season, the Red Storm have ran into a bit of rough patch, dropping their last four contests, all being conference games.

According to Coach Perscio, the team recognizes the poor run of form and is looking forward to leaving it in the past.

“We are in a little bit of a rough patch,” said Persico. “We need to work extra hard when you get into these rough patches to get back on a winning track and usually that has to start with defense, so we are going to stress the defense. We are going to make people more accountable. We are going to our best to get out of this, and we need a little luck as well, but the girls are working hard, they are sticking together and they are playing hard for their school and we are looking forward to getting a W soon.”