Fencers Take to the Piste

Three St. John’s fencers competed at the 2013 January North American Cup this past weekend in Louisville, Kentucky. 2012 Olympian and redshirt senior Darryl Homer wasn’t able to compete because competitors must be under the age of 20, as it is a junior division event.

No Red Storm fencers competed on the first day of action, which featured junior women’s foil.

The second day of competition featured the junior men’s epee competition, which freshman Trevor Shepard competed in. He improved from his last outing by placing in 67th (placed 114th in December NAC).

Sophomore Isis Washington began her play later on the second day of competition in the junior women’s epee competition. She placed 33rd, a bit further back from the podium than she experience at the December North American Cup where she placed 16th.

On the third day of play, freshman Margaret McDonald, who saw her streak of two straight top-16 finishes at Division I NAC events end at the December NAC, finished tied for 21st in junior women’s saber.

“This season has been pretty tough for me because I switched coaches, but I think I’m handling it pretty well,” McDonald said.

The Johnnies did not have any fencers participate on Monday, the last day of action.

The Red Storm will be hosting the St. John’s Invitational at Carnesecca Arena on January 26, their first team event since sweeping the Brandeis Invitational in Waltham, Mass back in December.

“I think it will be fun to compete with the team at home, and I’m really looking forward to it,” McDonald said.