Golden Keys To Success

Hundreds of St. John’s students were rewarded for more than three years of hard work, dedication and academic excellence Thursday night. They proved worthy of membership in the Golden Key National Honor Society and packed the Marillac Auditorium with their families to accept induction.

Proud parents applauded and snapped pictures as the inductees of this year’s class were called up to walk to the stage and receive their certificates. Top junior inductee Mary Achtziger and top senior inductee Heather Boerner were especially acknowledged and received scholarships from Ford Motor Company.

Every year, the Golden Key Society honors juniors and seniors who have accumulated a 3.5 GPA or better with at least 60 credits completed at St. John’s. With more than 30 academic honor societies on campus, Golden Key is the largest. This year, they added 489 new members.

Also inducted at this year’s ceremony were three honorary members. Over the years Golden Key has inducted 1,100 honorary members based on their service and importance to the St. John’s community. This year’s honorees include Philosophy Professor Dr. Arthur Gianelli, Director of Service Learning the Rev. Stephen Bicsko, C.M. and Dean Peter J. Tobin of the College of Business Administration.

Dean Robert Mangione of the College of Pharmacy was the keynote speaker. He said that while he felt honored to be there, the night belonged to the students. “This is a humbling experience for me as I sense your greatness and hope that I am worthy of this honor.”

Mangione called the inductees “our best hope for the future” and reminded them that the future is in their hands. “You have been given the gift and responsibility of leadership,” said Mangione. “If you cultivate this gift you are destined for greatness; however if you fail to answer leadership’s call we will all be in serious peril.”

Mangione’s statement was in keeping with Golden Key’s mission it encourages its members to use their gifts to enrich others.

Golden Key used the ceremony to announce some of the service programs it is holding to enrich the community. One such program is the “Caps for Kids” collection in conjunction with the Ronald McDonald House and The American Cancer Society. It began Oct. 30 and will continue until Dec 7. Donations are to be brought to the office of Student Activities and Performing Arts on the first floor of the University Center.

According to Joni Aleschevich, advisor to the Golden Key Honor Society, more than 500 hats have already been collected.