To Concede Or Not To Concede

As this piece is written, the next president of the United States is yet to be elected formally. My impatience concerning the results has made me anxious, and consequently, very perplexed as how “the system” is engineered to function. I believed all democracies follow a general rule of people electing their governors on a certain day, and being aware of the results a short time afterward, regardless of which candidate is elected. It is especially appalling when the lone “superpower” remaining in the world cannot reach a consensus regarding its president-elect. Whether the struggle looms over votes cast in West Palm Beach County, Florida or Small-town, Indiana, this decision should have been settled weeks ago. Approximately one month is left until the inauguration, and while I do not believe that the nation will undergo a crisis, I do believe that its constituents are quietly expressing their rancor and dejection over the issue. I feel it is time that Vice Presidential Al Gore concedes to Texas Governor George W. Bush.

This opinion is indicative of a poll recently conducted by CNN, in which 52 percent of those questioned, advocate for a concession from Gore. After the Florida Supreme Court certified that George W. Bush had won the recount of the state’s votes, most people were certain we would soon have a new commander-in-chief. But the Gore campaign again chose to appeal the court’s decision. Tomorrow the justices of the court will hear Gore’s appeal of the ruling holding George W. Bush as the victor in Florida. The fact is, and using Bush’s terminology, there is quit a bit of “fuzzy math” within these elections. What contributes to this quagmire is the fact that George W’s brother is the governor of Florida. Many have claimed that there is a correlation between this fact and the situation with the votes. I beg to differ, I don’t think Jeb Bush had anything to do with it. It’s just another excuse that’s causing the election to be extended.
You have to ask yourself, what this battling is going to do to the president – elect? The eventual incumbent will be one of the weakest presidents in the history of our nation. He will enter the office under severe scrutiny of the American people. It is exactly because of this Gore should rethink his plans for prolonging the decision. As Americans we are accustomed to receiving everything instantaneously. We hate having to wait a day or even a week to get something; imagine the atrocity of making us wait a month to know who the next leader of the free world is going to be.

Obviously, Gore is under the impression that he has been dealt an injustice. I do applaud his relentless pursuit of victory though the tiresome judicial process, but I think enough is enough. With the best interests of the American people at hand, Gore should concede and allow us all to move into a new era of rule.

I voted for neither Bush nor Gore. I am also fully aware of the repercussions of Bush’s eventual election. As governor of Texas, he has a record of most executions of prison inmates, and his policy on education has been atrocious. But to be fair, Gore, too, has his shortcomings. Much like our current president, Gore promises great economic reform, but as with the Clinton administration in 1996, this change helped only the rich. Both candidates have flaws in their policies, but the fact still remains that our faith lies with one of them. Right now, we simply want someone to take charge and lead the way. The fact that Bush has taken the initiative to begin plans to move into the White House and name his cabinet staff is a good sign for the American people. It takes us one step closer to an end to this predicament.

Perhaps the election system is antiquated. Perhaps the two presidential candidates are very similar, and simultaneously vague, concerning prevalent issues. Perhaps the American people are too apathetic in regards to politics. Whatever, the reason for our present situation, it has gone too far. America is at a loss. My final plea to Gore; please consider the future repercussions of your present actions and give a call to Texas.