Student leader Michael Yetemian

Look at the student cheering section at any St. John’s University basketball game and you’ll see what junior Michael Yetemian has been up to.

Yetemian, a native of Elmhurst, Queens, is leaving his mark at St. John’s through all of his work and dedication with Student Government and the School Spirit Committee.

“School spirit seemed to be the thing to do,” Yetemian said. “I was really in the mood to do spirit on campus. Luckily, I’ve had the opportunity to do that the past couple of years.”

For two years, he has been chairman of the School Spirit Committee. His duties have included promoting student involvement and spirit on campus at events such as Homecoming and basketball games.

“Right now, we’re [the School Spirit Committee] not finished, but at least we’ve set the footwork to get it going,” said Yetemian, a computer science major. “I think we’ve been successful in promoting events.”

Along with all of his work on the School Spirit Committee, Yetemian is also involved in Student Government in various ways. His first taste of Student Government was as a freshman representative. This year, he was a junior representative. Yetemian is a part of the Middle States Accreditation Committee and Bookstore Committee as well.

“Everything I do is Student Government-related,” Yetemian said. “I love doing this stuff.”

Yetemian’s voice has represented the students through the Ray Kelly Task Force, discussing security issues that arose this past year, and the Vincentian Mission Council, a group that evaluates the university’s mission and how it is working.

Next year, Yetemian will continue to be involved in Student Government, although it will be in a different way. Recently, he was elected vice president on the I.M.P.A.C.T ticket.

“I think the position of vice president is going to give me a lot of new opportunities for next year,” said Yetemian. “It’s my junior year and there’s still lots that could be done and I hope that I’ll be an integral part of getting a lot of this done.”

He will now be in a supervisory role and plans to work with the committees to increase the amount of involvement on campus.

“I want to make sure that we can get everyone involved,” Yetemian said.

Yetemian said that his biggest contribution to St. John’s University is his role as a student leader and providing a voice for the student body.

“My biggest contribution I think is the impact that I’ve made as my role as a student leader on campus,” Yetemian said. “I think being able to have the opportunity to get involved in all these high level committees and get involved with the administrative aspect of campus made a change for making sure that student voices are heard.”

Eventually, Yetemian will graduate and leave behind all of his work with Student Government. When he does this, he is not sure what he will do.

“The world is wide open with opportunities,” said Yetemian.

When he does leave, Yetemian wants to be remembered for all of his work.

“Hopefully, I made an impression as a student leader,” Yetemian said.