Spring Days

Spring, and possibly summer, has officially arrived on the campus of St. John’s University. With less than three weeks remaining in the 2001-2002 academic year, Mother Nature has thrown a curve in the Northeast, with temperatures reaching 90 degrees while the normal high is usually around 60. As a result of this blast of summer, the campus on the corner of Union and Utopia undergoes countless changes, both of good and bad variety. So here are my top ten positive and top ten negative aspects of spring at St. John’s.

††††††

Top Ten Positive Things in no particular order)

10. The residence village instantly springs to life. Hundreds of students occupy the stonewalls in front of the halls and many more inhabit the grass, whether they are sun bathing, playing football, or the ever popular softball with no concern for the windows that surround them.

9. Professors are more likely to either cancel class or let us out early. They would all deny this but we all know they don’t want to be in class on a beautiful day either.

8. The Rose Garden is actually a rose garden. During the winter all you see is evergreens and sticks surrounding the statues as opposed to the flowers that are there now.

7. That big blue stadium located just ten minutes from campus is alive and well with the sights of sounds of the mighty New York Mets. However this year I can assure you that they will be playing well into the fall as well, much longer than those boys from the Bronx.

6. Jones Beach is free until Memorial Day.

5. The computer labs are the coldest places on campus, so it makes it much easier to get that last paper done when it is 95 degrees outside.

4. The countless wind tunnels on campus are not quite so unbearable when it is a summer breeze instead of a winter gust.

3. There are clearance sales in the University Bookstore, so save the pennies you get when you sell your books back.

2. Shorts and sandals.

1. School is almost over and summer is just around the corner.

††††††

Top Ten Negative Things (in no particular order)

10. Once the temperature hits 90 degrees the ability to concentrate is completely lost, making spring semester finals all that more difficult.

9. Living on the first floor of O’Conner has given me the distinct privilege of waking up to the sound of a weed whacker and the wonderful smell of cut grass.

8. The classrooms, especially those in St. John Hall that do not have a functioning air conditioner.

7. Teachers who still feel the need to hold you for the entire 1 hour and 25 minutes.

6. People who scream and chant outside of the residence halls on a Tuesday night for no apparent reason.

5. Being forced to watch the Yankees on television. Oh wait, that’s not true anymore. Thank you George for being the most selfish personality in sports.

4. Attempting to walk across the Great Lawn can be life threatening, whether it is a cricket ball or a Frisbee, I would suggest keeping your head up.

3. Staring outside the classroom windows imagining you are on the beach, but in reality you are learning the philosophy of logic.

2. Realizing another winter passed without any snow days.

1. The fact that there are still three weeks of school left.

There you have it. This is my opinion on spring/summer at St. John’s but I am willing to bet many of you out there have similar thoughts.

Good luck in completing those last minute papers. Remember it is almost over.