Dear Torch,

To Jason Della Rosa:

Jack Kaiser was kind enough to send me a copy of The Torch that contained your article about me. I think it was one of the best that I can remember. I was more than pleased. You did your research and you wrote in a clear and complimentary style.

I wish you well in your life and your career.

God bless you!

Sincerely,

Bob Sheppard

To the editor:

I have some comments on the article that was published previously. [Editors note: “Penlight” Sept. 25] You seem to be measuring everyone with the same response. You are probably familiar with the phrase that each of your five fingers are not equal. Therefore, it is not true that everyone in class is just sitting, relaxing and communicating with their colleagues. As students, we do not attend class for our own amusement; we are here at St. John’s to receive a proper education. I wonder why this school is categorized as easy.

I spoke with my friends who attend other colleges and they don’t have advanced courses such as discover New York, theology, et cetera. My English class becomes so hectic at times that I feel it would benefit me to drop it. In discover New York class, I was assigned to do five term papers of three to four pages each. If this is easy, I wonder what you call difficult.

Our curriculum is fully designed to teach us how to read, write and think critically. We are provided with a solid academic foundation that will help us reach high demands. Each year, companies such as American Express, Calvin Klein, IBM, U.S. Customs Survey, Chase Manhattan Bank, and many, many more come to St. John’s to recruit students for future employment. If our college is as easy as you mentioned, none of this would be a possibility.

Concerning our professors, you should know they are only human and only God can be perfect. As far as I know, our professors have their knowledge, and more than 90 percent of them hold a PhD. or other high degree.

Ismat Ahmad