Senior Leaders Leave It All on the Court

A volleyball player must be skilled in many ways. They must know their role on the team and be able to communicate with their teammates and coach.

The special players also possess leadership, courage and determination.

Two players that have those special qualities are Meaghan Creedon and Sarah McCrary.

ìWhenever you have two seniors on a team, they are very valuable to helping bring leadership and consistency,î St. Johnís Head Coach Joanne Persico-Smith said. ìBoth of them are great role models, and Iím sorry to see them go.î

McCrary, a Walnut, Calif., native, has played for the Storm since the start of last year.

ìI was never one of those people who didnít try,î McCrary said of herself. ìI always give it my all.î Last season, she had 297 kills and 253 digs. This year, she has 337 kills and 205 digs.

ìSarahís playing injured with a sore shoulder, so sheís full of courage,î Persico-Smith said. ìShe does it without complaining and sheís always playing with heart and fire.î

McCrary has a lot of great memories at St. John√≠s. √¨I√≠ll miss the people that I√≠ve met. I√≠ll miss all of my teammates and especially Coach √Jo-Jo,√≠√Æ McCrary said. √¨Coach makes you try and she really takes time to know each of her players.√Æ

Whatís next for the communications major? McCrary wants to pursue a career in the music industry. ìRight now Iím working on my music. I want to become a rock singer one day,î said McCrary, who has been singing the national anthem at Alumni Hall before home games.

Creedon is the senior captain, voice and backbone of the team.

A Rohnert Park, Calif., native, she was primarily a utility player in her first two seasons at St. Johnís, only playing in 61 games, recording 67 kills.

ìI was always prepared to come off the bench,î Creedon said.

Last season was her breakout year, playing 75 games with 107 kills.

This season she has 188 kills and is still a motivator, communicator and teacher on the court.

There are many memories from St. Johnís but a match against Georgetown Creedonís sophomore year stands out the most.

√¨My coach used to have an exotic wardrobe when I first got here and we had a problem with one pair of these red pumps. We go to Georgetown and we√≠re like √What are you wearing!√≠,√Æ Creedon remarked. √¨Coach says, √If you guys beat Georgetown tonight, the pumps don√≠t leave the gym.√≠ We wind up beating Georgetown in five games. Coach took off her shoes and we hid her shoes in the bottom of their ball cart.√Æ

Creedon has a great bond with her teammates. ìTeammates form a bond unlike any you could imagine,î she said. ìI know that some of these girls will be in my wedding party.î

Creedon is a communications major. √¨I√≠m going to pursue entertainment broadcasting. I√≠m going to be interning at the √Live with Regis and Kelly√≠ show next semester,√Æ Creedon said of her future plans.

One thing for sure is that St. Johnís volleyball will lose two of their best at the end of the season.

√™√Ø”8y: √à 

’ ”   @

?

Æ_)êê
-/ ?=!”#√™?$√™?%

i4@√í4NormalCJOJPJQJmH <A@√ö∞<Default Paragraph Font√™ $ ?z√¥√™ √™√™√™$≈í√ë√£'√à√è√õ√ņ--√Ü µ _

f

g q √≠ *&Xb…√≠ Information Technology*Torch Online:10/30:sports:vballleaders.txt@√Ñ√® √® ’–√í ##√® √® ~√Ø√™ 0 @G√™Times New Roman5√™√ÑSymbol3√™ Arial3√™Times 1√†-h∂j√ú∂j√ú!*ø••√Ñ20^0A volleyball player must be skilled in many waysInformation TechnologyInformation Technology

?√ñ√º√öOh’√+’?0?√†√™√É√øØ 4@

\ h

t√Ñ√†√™√’1A volleyball player must be skilled in many ways Te voInformation TechnologytnfoNormaltInformation Technologyt1foMicrosoft Word 9.0o@@ √±A√Ö¨@ √±A√Ö¨

’√ï’√∫.√¨√≥+,√Ü0, hp√™√?Æ øª

-

’St. John’s Universitya≈ì 1A volleyball player must be skilled in many ways Title

!”$%&’()*-Root Entry øF?¢…√Ѩ/√Ñ1TableWordDocument$SummaryInformation(DocumentSummaryInformation8#CompObjXObjectPool?¢…√Ѩ?¢…√Ѩ øFMicrosoft Word DocumentNB6WWord.Document.8