Tourney Bound

It was a weekend full of emotion for the Red Storm, who earned a spot in the Big East Tournament with a 2-1 overtime victory against Virginia Tech on Friday night but followed that with a 1-0 overtime defeat at the hands of Georgetown on Senior Day Sunday afternoon.

The game against the Hokies was a do-or-die for St. Johnís, who needed to beat Virginia Tech in order to capture the only remaining spot in the conference tourney.

The Red Storm took an early 1-0 lead on a goal by Kaitlin Schmidt in the 15th minute.

The freshman took a pass from Dominica Reina and broke past two defenders before launching a shot over Tech goalie Natasha Dirda.

Erin Henderson also assisted on the play.

Virginia Tech knotted the score in the 60th minute on a penalty kick by Kathy Holdsworth.

Just two minutes later, the Hokies committed a foul of their own in the box, but Reina couldnít beat Dirda on the penalty kick and the game remained tied.

ìIt could easily have deflated us,î St. Johnís Head Coach Ian Stone said. ìThe girls wouldnít have let that happen. If anything, they would have worked twice as hard to support Dominica.î

The game remained deadlocked through regulation and St. Johnís wasted no time once the extra period began, scoring 17 seconds into overtime.

Theresa Bulman set up the play for the goal with a pass to Schmidt, who then crossed the ball to Joanna Dawson.

Dawson, who was playing one week after tearing her right MCL, pushed the ball into the center of the field for Courtney Rett, who sent a blast to the back of the net for the game-winner and her fourth goal of the season.

ìWe created so many chances,î Stone said, ìthat it was only a matter of time before we scored.î

This marks the first time in the programís history that the squad will be making back-to-back Big East Tournament appearances.

On Sunday, the highlight was the culmination of the careers of the seven senior Johnnies ó Bulman, Heather Cook, Dawson, Tina Fogg, Jen Pugsley, Jen Taylor and Erin Zambelli.

The Hoyas dominated the first half of play and if not for the outstanding play of Fogg, could have had a three goal lead.

The SJU keeper made diving saves on chances by Karin Ostrandera and Jessie Beers-Altman, while punching the ball over the top of the net on shots by Casey McCann.

ìI didnít think we played very well,î Stone said. ìTheyíre the type of team that make you play ugly anyway because theyíre so big and physical, but we didnít possess the ball very well.î

The Hoyas finally capitalized on their chances less than two minutes into overtime when Elizabeth Roberti took a pass from Nicole DiPalma and beat Fogg into the upper left-hand corner of the net from 18 yards out.

St. Johnís best chance of the day came 10 minutes into the second half, when Rett rocketed a shot from 30 yards out that Georgetown keeper Alexis George had to jump full extension to catch it from sneaking under the crossbar.

The Red Storm will travel to Morgantown, W.Va., to take on West Virginia in the Big East Quarterfinals on Nov. 3 at 2 p.m.

±√§• ’ i

i F ∂ -

?

Zìu
-/ ?=!”#√™?$√™?%

i4@√í4NormalCJOJPJQJmH <A@√ö∞<Default Paragraph Font $ ?z√¥  &"√ç/4√â√† +1afuz*√√•√≠√òø˜?√à26√®√¥∫ ° 

&

?

F

P

T

?

?

√ö +0+<"IS√ö Information Technology#Torch Online:10/30:sports:wsocc.txt@√Ñ√î √î '--√í √î √î ~√Ø 0 @G√™Times New Roman5√™√ÑSymbol3√™ Arial3√™Times q√†-h¢j√ú¢j√ú!*ø••√Ñ20^It was a weekend full of emotion for the Red Storm, who earned a spot in the Big East Tournament with a 2-1 overtime victory agInformation TechnologyInformation Technology

?√ñ√º√öOh’√+’?0√è√†√™$DP` √Ñ√•

Æ •

ø√É’<?'√ÑIt was a weekend full of emotion for the Red Storm, who earned a spot in the Big East Tournament with a 2-1 overtime victory agt wInformation TechnologyfnfoNormaltInformation Technologyf1foMicrosoft Word 9.0o@@√ô√†√Ö¨@√ô√†√Ö¨ 

’√ï’√∫.√¨√≥+,√Ü0| hp√™√?Æ øª

- \’St. John’s Universityd≈ì √ÑIt was a weekend full of emotion for the Red Storm, who earned a spot in the Big East Tournament with a 2-1 overtime victory ag Title

!”$%&’()*-Root Entry øF±?…√Ѩ/√Ñ1TableWordDocument$SummaryInformation(DocumentSummaryInformation8#CompObjXObjectPool±?…√Ѩ±?…√Ѩ øFMicrosoft Word DocumentNB6WWord.Document.8