Solutions for Your Registration Anxiety

The All Saint’s Day weekend that accompanies Halloween every year has come and gone. Although the Seniors of SJU have already begun to register for their spring semester classes, it is now officially registration time for the rest of us. The question is what classes should you take? What classes have priority: those that actually hold your attention or those that apply to your major?

Whatever factor takes precedence in your course selection process, you should consider the prospect that both parts of the aforementioned criteria can be fulfilled. There are classes that are not only interesting, but can count towards graduation as well.

A Fun Facet of Pharmacy

Do you ever look at that lightly-tinted, neon green mucous that comes out of your nose when you are in the middle of a wicked, but common, cold? You know that nasty rash you got last year from that guy you met at Gantry’s? Does it ever make you wonder why your body gets the diseases it does?

In the Pharmacy Department, you will find a class called “Clinical Immunology,” in which you will learn the answer to those very questions and beyond. The class gives detailed descriptions of how one’s immune system works and why the many different types of bacteria cause the endless variations of diseases found in one’s environment. If you are one of those not-so-squeamish people who love hearing the gory details of disease, this is the class for you. Michael Piampiano, a third year pharmacy student claims clinical immunology as one of his favorite courses. He says, “It’s real. It’s what actually goes on in our bodies.”

Get Sociologically Stimulated

You are sitting in math class trying your hardest to pay attention to your professor’s less-than-rousing lecture on polynomials. When it is time for class participation, you notice that your professor has only taken male volunteers to do the sample problems on the board. Why would he (or she) do that? Are guys more mathematically capable than their female counterparts? Is it your teacher’s place to determine, as well as enforce, such a disturbing stigma?

These are issues that are discussed in the Sociology Department’s class called Inequality: Race, Class, and Gender. According to Anika Jones, a senior sociology major, the class “gives information regarding the different types of discrimination throughout history, as well as possible solutions on how to close the gaps between race and ethnic groups.” Still interested? Good. This class can also serve as a nice stepping stone to social and political awareness.

The Lovechild of Biology

and Physics

What do you get when you cross anatomy with the interaction of matter and energy? One hot class called “Biological Physics”! In this class you will learn the semi-basics of life and matter.

I was talking to a friend of mine, and I, even as an English major, thought the class sounded cool. Apparently, you learn some pretty interesting little facts in those fun-filled lectures.

‘Little facts like what?’ you may ask. Well, did you know that the story of King Kong could never actually happen? Based upon King Kong’s massive size and the amount of energy required for his strict regimen of activity (scaling buildings is harder than it looks), the over-grown ape would overheat and drop dead.

Hmmm. You learn something new everyday-and that would be particularly true if you found yourself enrolled in this course.

So, what (or should I say who) puts the ‘good’ in a good class? Many people believe that a course’s worth falls on the shoulders of its professor. Shannon Newsom, a third year pharmacy student currently taking Frank Barile’s clinical immunology course says, “It depends on the teacher you have. My teacher basically free-styles his lectures and doesn’t work from notes. He really gets the class involved.”

Of course, there is another factor that can make or break any class one may choose to take: you. Whatever your schedule looks like next semester, actively participate and give the course your all. Just remember that when it comes to school, you get what you give.