Admissions Reach New Highs

St. John’s University announced that they have received a total of 12,274 applications for admissions for the fall 2002 semester and recognized it to be the largest response in University history.

Enrollment statistics also showed that a total of 2,976 freshman have enrolled in the class of 2006, making it the largest class since 1987.

“This is clearly an indication of the value of a St. John’s diploma, and that the word of that value is spreading,” the Rev. Donald J. Harrington, C.M., president of the University, said.

“Whether it’s our enhanced academic facilities, our new residence halls and athletic facilities on our Queens campus, the intimacy of our Staten Island campus, or our younger campuses in Long Island, Manhattan, Rome or Italy, people are sitting up and taking notice of our progress. The proof is in the numbers. More and more people want to come to St. John’s.”

St John’s also announced that students in the Fall 2002 freshman class came from 31 different states including Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia and other students came from 36 countries outside the United States.

“More that ever, we are a diverse University, and one that reflects the true nature of the working world,” Glenn Sklarin, the vice president for Enrollment Management, said.

“From the minute they come to us, St. John’s students receive an education with a truly global outlook because they study and interact with people from all around the world.”

With a current total enrollment of 19,288 students, St. John’s still remains one of the largest Catholic universities in the United States.