SJU at the top

St. John’s is a very interesting place. In fact, it’s so engaging that it has been included in the Kaplan Publication’s “Unofficial Unbiased Insider’s Guide to the 320 Most Interesting Colleges.”

St. John’s was ranked as having the Best Career Services for students, as rated by high school guidance counselors nationwide.

“I am thrilled. Everyone who works in the Career Center is dedicated to providing high quality, interesting programs for students and alumni,” said Patricia McManus, director of the University’s Career Center.

This guide features exclusive, previously unavailable information, including the surprising results of Kaplan’s national guidance counselor survey, candid student observations about the academic and social life at the 320 most interesting colleges of 2002-2003 and valuable advice from two of the country’s leading authorities on college admissions.

The book offers the practical advice families crave.

“Colleges admissions departments are reporting that they are looking for students that are ‘a good match’ for their school,” said authors Anderson and Basili. “After reviewing the information in our book, students can quickly learn which schools they should be considering and which schools they should avoid.”

The authors closely monitored the 2001-2002 college admissions cycle and looked for trends on campuses-which schools have changed for the better, which for the worse; which schools are overrated, which are underrated; where a competitive student might excel, where a B student might shine.

The Career Center is glad to have been singled out as providing excellent service for students to get them on a good track, McManus explained.

“This is evidence of how successful the Career Center is in assisting students in launching their careers, even in difficult job markets,” she said.

“We do a lot of outreach to the student body and faculty to let everyone know about the programs we offer. It is wonderful to be recognized by outsiders for the efforts we make everyday.”

All students are encouraged to visit the Career Center and meet with an advisor to see how they can help make the college experience even better and help you to be as prepared as possible for success after graduation.

“We help students from the beginning to the end of their college experience and beyond,” said McManus.

“We can help you find part-time work or an internship to get some first-hand experience. We offer resume and business correspondence workshops, business and dining etiquette seminars, job fairs, job postings, and campus recruiting programs to help you land that first full time position in your chosen career,” she said.

The Career Center has many programs coming up in the near future which include a dining etiquette seminar on the Staten Island campus on March 26, a criminal justice career fair on April 5 and a Job Fair on April 9, both on the Queens campus.

For more information and a calendar of events, visit the web site at www.stjohns.edu/careercenter, which make the St. John’s Career Center so prestigious compared to other Universities across the nation.

Kaplan, Inc. is a premier provider of educational and career services for individuals, schools and businesses. Kaplan Publishing first released it new college guide, “The Unofficial, Unbiased, Insider’s Guide to the 320 Most Interesting Colleges” in July, 2002.