Campus Spotlight

He’s a member of the NIT championship basketball team, the St. John’s jazz ensemble, the Chappell Players and is getting ready to go to NYU for medical school.

And to think senior Jonathan Scheiman wasn’t even planning to come to St. John’s.

“I was all set to go to Rutgers,” the Greenwich Village native said. “I actually went there on a visit and I already had my dorm room picked out and ID card and everything but at the last moment I got accepted here. I was offered a scholarship and the chance to walk onto the [basketball] team so I came here.”

Because of an interest in science, Scheiman chose to major in biology.

“I always went to a lot of zoos and aquariums. I always had an interest in animals and that’s why I originally did biology,” he said.

He added on a creative writing minor due to the performing arts theme that was instilled in him while growing up.

Since he began at St. John’s, Scheiman has been a walk-on guard for the men’s basketball team. During his sophomore year, he expanded his involvement in the performing arts by joining the jazz band. And, this year he added another activity to his list by acting in two plays put on by the Chappell Players.

For Scheiman, becoming a member of these groups seemed like a logical step since his graduation from LaGuardia High School, a performing arts school in New York City, where he was an instrumental major.

“I was in jazz band and orchestra, just the regular band and I kind of kept that with me even when I went to college,” the player said. “My first year really felt like something was missing so it was just a good outlet and something that got me through high school, something that I wanted to continue to do and that’s what led me to join the jazz ensemble. It just seemed natural.”

As far as Scheiman is concerned, St. John’s turned out to be a good place for him.

“I really enjoyed my fours years here,” he said. “I think over the long run it turned out to be worthwhile.”

As graduation day nears, Scheiman realizes that he will miss certain aspects of St. John’s, especially the friends he has made on the basketball team.

“I think I’ll miss probably the college atmosphere, just being around people and classes, especially the team,” said Scheiman. “You really turn into a family and I think in my last year especially I really felt like we developed into not just a team but more of a family. That’s something I’ll definitely miss.”

Although Scheiman may not be completely sure as to what kind of job he wants to have, he does have immediate plans to attend NYU, but also plans on keeping his options open.

“I can see myself doing a lot of things. I just signed a letter of acceptance to go to NYU School of Medicine where I’d be going for my Ph.D. in five years. I’d also like to maybe try and pursue acting,” Scheiman said.

“I’ll always continue to write so who knows. I think the main thing for me is just staying in New York, going for my doctorate but also having the opportunity to do other things.”

Now that his time is almost over at St. John’s, Scheiman has a good vantage-point to give advice to other students about what to do with their remaining time.

“Your life and your college experiences are what you make of it. One thing that I said to myself before this year even started was I want to take advantage of every opportunity,” he said.

“I have and that’s the advice I’d give to students in general. These four years could really be a good time in your life and set up your future so enjoy it. Have fun and take advantage of it.”