Hurt excited after Storm’s outing at Army Invitational

The St. John’s women’s track and field team placed 4th overallat the Army Invitational at the Gillis Field House on Jan. 24,totaling 153 points at the meet.

The high point of the meet came via senior Shernette Davis, wholed SJU, placing first in both the 60m and 200m, with times of 7.60and 24.40 respectively.

“She ran really well this past weekend,” an elated St. John’shead coach Jim Hurt said. “She has been running great and continuesto dominate.”

Davis was also a part of the 4×400 first place relay team, withVanessa Sessa, Thamara Cherisme and Tarashon Broomes. Broomes,Cherisme and senior Sophie Sylvain placed second, third and fourthplace in the 500m dash, recording times of 1:20.36, 1:22.21 and1:22.66, respectively.

In other events, Junior Sophia Bazile placed second in thetriple jump at 11.27m and fourth in the long jump at 5.34m. Sylvainalso competed in the long jump, finishing second with a distance of5.41m. Junior Blessing Egwu led SJU, placing fourth in the weightthrow at 15.95m.

SJU has finished their dual meet season with an 11-5 record andHurt has expressed his excitement for the next few weeks after whathis team has shown so far.

“Our performances have been very competitive and we arecompeting hard and running good races,” Hurt said. “That’scertainly the tone we want to put on the national level and wereally are anticipating the next couple of weeks.

“As we get healthy and with what we have shown in our past fewmeets we can compete at a high level.”

Before competing at the Millrose Games on Feb. 6, St. John’swill compete at the Terrier Invitational this weekend.