Red Storm tiptoes its way to a ninth place finish at nationals

The St. John’s University dance team went to Florida lastweekend with its dancing shoes and high spirits and finished ninthplace in the 2004 College Cheerleading and Dance Team NationalChampionship.

The Red Storm’s ninth place finish in the Division I section ofthe UDA Championships is the highest ever for the team and betterthan last year’s 13th place finish.

“We’re thrilled at our finish,” dance team head coach ChristineMcCarton said. “The kids have worked really hard for this, andthey’re excited.”

Cal State Fullerton finished first followed by Sam Houston Stateand Hofstra. Rounding out the top-10 were Southwest Missouri State,Delaware, Southeastern Louisiana, George Mason, Northern Arizona,St. John’s and Oakland University.

The St. John’s Dance Team has existed for more than 40 years,and is filled with tradition and pride.

Every year, students with various dance backgrounds performduring time-outs and halftime of all home basketball games atAlumni Hall and Madison Square Garden as well as at home soccergames.

While most of its season is spent supporting the Red Storm, thedance team competes annually and entered this year’s championshipswith a 13th ranking among Division I squads.