Around the BigEast

Men’s Basketball

In this weekend’s match-ups, winning streaks would be put on theline, including Pittsburgh’s 39-game home winning streak, as theNo. 4 seed took on No. 5 Connecticut at the Peterson EventsCenter.

The Panthers (23-2, 9-2) proved to be the better out of the twotop-ranked teams, continuing their dominance in Big East play witha 75-68 win over UConn (19-5, 7-3).

Pitt’s Jaron Brown dropped 17 points along with Mark McCarroll’s15 points off the bench to help improve Pittsburgh’s home record to18-0 this season.

Even with All-American candidates Ben Gordon and Emeka Okaforcombining to score more than half of UConn’s points, the Huskiescouldn’t help but lose their second straight after a four-game winstreak.

The Panthers are now 34-0 at the Peterson Events Center, havewon 20 straight Big East home games and taken 42 of their last 47contests.

In other action, the defending NCAA Champion Syracuse Orangemen(16-5, 6-4) took care of host Miami Hurricanes (13-12, 3-8) in a91-74 rout.

The Orangemen’s leading scorer, Hakim Warrick, dropped 27 pointsin the victory, breaking the school’s record with a perfect 11-11from the field.

Gerry McNamara added 23 points as the Orangemen shot 65 percentfrom the field and committed only seven turnovers. The Hurricanesincreased their losing streak to seven games, the longest losingstreak the school has seen in over a decade.

Notre Dame (12-9,6-5) looked to continue their magic in SouthBend’s Joyce Center as they took on Andre Barret and the Seton HallPirates.

Even though Seton Hall (16-6, 6-4) outscored the Irish in thesecond half 40-39, they couldn’t stop Big East Player of the Week,Chris Thomas, who scored 26 points in the 71-68 victory.

The Fighting Irish had four players in double digit scoring asthey won their second straight game and stopped the Pirates’ modesttwo-game win streak.

West Virginia (14-8, 6-5) has won three of their last fourgames, including a win over the Villanova Wildcats (13-10, 5-5),67-60.

The Mountaineers’ Tyrone Sally scored a game-high 20 points asWest Virginia sunk 18 of their 24 free throws down the stretch,while the Wildcats only had nine attempts from the charity stripeall game.

Providence (17-5, 8-3) increased their winning streak to threegames by defeating Boston College (16-8, 5-6), 61-52.

The Friars’ Ryan Gomes contributed 20 points and 11 rebounds inthe win at the O’ Conte Forum, snapping the Eagles three-gamewinning streak.

Boston College had a chance at victory when they pulled within afew points with seven minutes left, but the Friars scored 11 pointsin a row to finish off the Eagles.

Rutgers (14-6, 6-6) improved their home record to 11-1 at theLouis Brown Athletic Center, routing Virginia Tech (10-11, 3-7)85-52.

The win snapped a two-game skid for the Scarlet Knights as theyoutplayed Tech in every aspect of the game.

Rutgers opened the game on a 32-3 run, shot 54 percent from thefield and out rebounded Virginia Tech 40-29.

Women’s Basketball

In women’s action, Jesselyn Deveny and the Boston College Eaglesshot 47 percent from the field to help beat host West Virginia,70-64.

Even though the Eagles committed eight more turnovers than theMountaineers, four of their starting five scored in doubledigits.

Defending NCAA Champion and No.1 ranked Connecticut went intothe New Jersey to rout the Scarlet Knights, 66-43.

Barbara Turner dropped 27 points in the victory as the Huskiesshot 53 percent from the field and out rebounded Rutgers 48-22.

The Pittsburgh Panthers didn’t seem to have as much luck as themen at home, losing to Georgetown 72-61.

Mary Lisicky led the way for the visiting team, as she netted 16points to lead the Hoyas, as the home team shot a dismal 34 percentfrom the field.

Miami (18-4, 7-4) looking to improve on one of its best startsin program history, won on the road at Virginia Tech (17-6, 6-6),65-56.

UM’s Chanivia Broussard led all scorers with 22 points,including a perfect 10-for-10 from the free-throw line. VirginiaTech’s Kerri Gardin led the way for the home team, recording 13points and a game-high 13 rebounds.

In other action, Syracuse (6-16, 3-9), led by Julie McBride’sgame-high 36 points, was not enough to top Seton Hall, 79-71.

McBride connected on 11-of-23 field goals, including 11-of-16from the charity stripe.

The Pirates (14-8, 6-5) were paced by Ashley Bush’s 17 pointsand Monique Blake’s 10 points and 10 rebounds.

Notre Dame (16-8, 9-3) easily defeated Providence (4-18, 0-11)on Saturday, 81-51, shooting 55 percent from the floor.