Sport Shorts

Men’s Soccer

St. John’s defeated sixth-ranked Duke 4-1 in their second game of the Duke Classic on Sunday. Gary Lewis tied the game for the Red Storm in the early second half, and St. John’s exploded for three more goals in the half.

Sebastian Alvarado-Ralph finished with a goal and a pair of assists in the win.

On Friday night, St. John’s lost a tough game to North Carolina State.

The Red Storm scored first on Ben Shuleva’s goal, but it was not enough, as the Wolfpack scored twice in the last ten minutes, capped by Matthew Lytle’s game winner with five seconds left in regulation.

St. John’s is currently ranked No. 7 in the country.

Women’s Soccer

The St. John’s women’s soccer team played Massachusetts to a 1-1 tie Sunday, in the second game of the University of Connecticut Classic Tournament. Natasha Lee scored the lone St. John’s goal, but the Minutewomen tied it thirteen minutes later on a header by Vanessa Lima.

The Red Storm was defeated by Colgate in the first game of the tournament on Friday. Colgate took the lead with a goal by Franny Iacuzzi only a minute into the game. St. John’s tied the game with a goal by Holly Ryder, but Colgate scored again in the second half and did not look back. Iacuzzi led the way for the Raiders, with another goal and a pair of assists.

Volleyball

The volleyball team won the William and Mary Invitational last weekend, finishing with a win against Liberty University. The Red Storm took the lead early, and held on for a 3-0 win. Earlier on Saturday, St. John’s defeated Elon College 3-1, after Fridays’ games which saw the Red Storm defeat Binghamton 3-0, but fall to host William and Mary 0-3. Hui Ping Huang and Co-captain Shameka Mitchell played strong for St. John’s throughout.

Cross Country

St. John’s cross country competed at the Fordham Invitational on Saturday, in their first official meet. The Red Storm finished 12th out of 19 teams competing.

Jasmine Barreto had the best finish of the St. John’s runners, finishing 59th at 19:59.

Despite the strong effort by Barreto, coach Jim Hurt said they have work to do.

“We need a few more weeks of good training before we see what we are truly capable of,” Hurt said.