The Brazen Word

To date, I have avoided writing or even speaking in detail of the Hurricane Katrina disaster, for the issue has been exhausted and politicized to nausea. And still, I refuse to speak of who is to blame, or why didn’t Bush do this, or what took the Governor so long to send in the National Guard, or any of that fruitless discoursing hogwash.

The ridiculing banter spoken by politicians and political activists has overshadowed the lost lives and desperate families.

But there is a business, of which I have long been an enemy of, which has caught my attention in the midst of this narcissistic nonsense. That business is Planned Parenthood.

Planned Parenthood is an organization best known for its abortion clinics, and whose website, www.plannedparenthood.org, lists as its mission statement, “to provide comprehensive reproductive and complementary health care services- educational programs which enhance understanding of individual and societal implications of human sexuality-[and] promote research and the advancement of technology in reproductive health.”

It is an organization whose focus is to provide women an opportunity to terminate pregnancies, and thus, terminate life. It is also an organization that, in sight of Hurricane Katrina’s starving, flooded, and largely displaced victims, has opted to disperse free morning-after emergency contraception kits and birth control in the desolate states of Louisiana and Mississippi.

The abortion industry’s most prominent company has chosen to donate relatively inexpensive contraception and birth control instead of let’s see, I don’t know-money, food, water, shelter, something practical?

I can hear the leftist opposition now, screaming about the alleged rapes in the Superdome and how these poor women need abortions, a quick fix provided by the aforementioned morning-after pill. And while I am tempted to illustrate that a child should not be added to the list of victims involved in a rape, I will simply defer to a distinguished and undoubtedly liberal news publication. In the Sept. 19 edition of The New York Times, David Carr’s business story entitled, “More Horrible than Truth: News Reports,” explains that many of the reports of alleged rapes, murders, and violence were, and will continue to be illegitimate as the story continues to fester.

Carr writes that, “Chief [Eddie] Compass [said], “We don’t have any substantiated rapes. We will investigate if they come forward.” This was said before unconfirmed claims were reported on Oprah and by New Orleans officials that women and babies were being raped in the Superdome. Carr continues, “Many of the more toxic rumors seem to have come from evacuees, half-crazed with fear sitting through night after night in the dark. Victims, officials and reporters all took one of the most horrific events in American history and made it worse than it actually was.”

We can even see this kind of nonsensical, extravagant story telling at St. John’s, as one of our editors received a phone call claiming that someone had committed suicide in St. Albert Hall on Tuesday morning- this instead of the real news that a small chemical fire sparked in a science lab.

Carr quotes Carl Smith, a professor of English and American studies at Northwestern University, as saying, “There is a timeless primordial appeal of the story of a city in chaos and people running loose.” Carr adds that, “urban chaos narratives offered ‘the fulfillment of some timely ideas and prejudices about the current social order.'”

Perhaps this is where the racism that so many have pinned on the President really lies. The fantastic tales told by the media to exploit the poor and predominantly black victims of Katrina has contributed to a new racism against the people of Louisiana and Mississippi. With continuous and consistently incredulous reports of rapes and murders, the people of the desolate region will only be further labeled as degenerate criminals.

Or perhaps it lies in a belief in eugenics, a policy that Margaret Sanger, the founder of Planned Parenthood Federation, advocated. In her autobiography, Sanger writes, “Eugenics without birth control seemed to me a house built upon sands…The eugenicists wanted to shift the birth-control emphasis from less children for the poor to more children for the rich. We went back to that and sought to stop the multiplication of the unfit.”

The “unfit” Sanger speaks of is namely the poor, the destitute, and perhaps even the black, as Sanger was an advocate for selective breeding against the “already tainted” progeny she so despised. While Planned Parenthood deems those devastated as unfit for money, food, or even medical care (a service they do actually practice), they choose to spread contraception and abortions in a pinch.

They are essentially demoting life while advocating death and the prevention of life.

The corruption surrounding the tragedy of Katrina is a tragedy in itself, one whose flames have been fueled by lies. Planned Parenthood has certainly added to the bonfire of fraudulence. I am reminded of a Hannity and Colmes interview from several months ago , where a Planned Parenthood official claimed that the ill effects of pregnancy largely outweigh the dangers of abortion, claiming that abortions are often advantageous and beneficial. She argued that abortions should not be seen as a last resort for frightened women, but rather an equal alternative to giving birth- an irresponsible claim made for the sake of promoting her malevolent product.

The problem I have with Planned Parenthood, beside its superfluous fund raisers that will only feed a gluttonous beast, is its blatant advocacy of abortion, not as a last resort but as a kind of beautiful choice for women. They do this by denouncing abstinence-only education as a, “misnomer that in practice is an assault on sex education itself.” According to its Web site, “abstinence-only education isn’t primarily about promoting abstinence – it’s about blindly refusing to teach contraception.”

By teaching contraception, you teach sexual promiscuity- an act that, with or without contraception, allows for more premarital pregnancies and more abortions.

I have sympathy for rape victims. I have sympathy for pregnant women seeking abortions under the pressures of moral irreverence. I have no sympathy for Planned Parenthood and find their donations outrageous and selfish. In a world crumbling to the pressures of malicious politics, it is time to unite under a canopy of common sense and awareness.

I’ll be debunking malevolent liberalism, sitting safely in solitude in my ivory tower.