Top ten things you do not know about Greek life

Greek organizations have been a valuable force on campus for many years. Along with strengthening bonds between students, Greek life affords its members the opportunity to grow in truth, knowledge, and integrity. Although misperceptions about Greek membership abound, here are some truthful facts about the community at large that may surprise you.

Membership

Membership in the Greek community on campus is quite extensive. There are currently 574 students who are active members of 31 Greek organizations.

Academics

Although a common misconception is that students involved in Greek life often engage in their activities at the expense of their studies, students are actually held responsible to remain academically strong. All active members are required to maintain a 2.0 GPA. In the spring of 2005, the average GPA for Greek life students was a 2.97.

Standards

Interested in joining a Greek organization? There are just a few requirements for new members. These include academic and community service, completion of the Greek Life Merit Based Program, and several educational programming requirements. In addition, E-Board members must have a minimum 2.5 GPA.

Educational Programming

In order to acclimate students to the Greek community, members must attend a two day Greek Leadership Retreat. They also have to attend several workshops and seminars, including Time and Stress Management and the Health and Wellness workshop. These workshops teach students how to balance their responsibilities and the pressures of school and extracurricular activities while maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Other requirements include participation in Latin Heritage Month, African Heritage Month, Asian Pacific Heritage Month, and Women’s History Month.

Community Service

The Greek community is committed to helping those in need and participates in a wide variety of community service programs. During the last school year, over 2,000 Greeks worked a total of 6,508 hours. Their efforts helped to raise $4,521 that was donated to help better the community in a variety of ways.

Move-In Day

As a service to fellow students, about 250 Greek volunteers have assisted with Freshman Move-In Day over the past five years.

Campus-Wide Events

The Greeks consider it important to support their fellow students and the campus community as a whole. Along with other campus organizations, Greeks participate in University Service Day, the Breast Cancer Walk, the Winter Carnival, the Black & White Ball, and the Walk for the Homeless.

Future Leaders

Over 50 percent of Greeks are active leaders within the St. John’s community. Many Greeks are involved in L.E.A.P., Project A.I.M,VITAL, honor societies and President’s Society. In addition, they are Bacchus Peer Educators, orientation leaders, and Resident Assistants.

Sports

Over 100 Greeks are involved with sports on campus in some form. Some are members of teams, and others participate recreationally.Although it may seem like an extensive time commitment, many Greeks hold a job in addition to their classes.

Work

More than 65 percent of Greeks work while attending school and still manage to remain active within their Greek organizations.