Women to host games at MSG

Last season, the St. John’s women’s basketball team finished with an impressive 20-11 record. This season, their goals are higher than ever before and it all begins with the announcement of their 2005-2006 schedule.

The highlight of the Johnnies season comes on Jan. 21 when they face conference rival Villanova at the world’s most famous arena, Madison Square Garden. On Jan. 29, again at MSG, the Red Storm will face West Virginia, the 2005 WNIT runner-up and the team that eliminated them from the postseason last year.

The journey for the Red Storm begins on Nov. 18 when the team hosts Boston University at Carnesecca Arena.

The quest for the Big East championship starts on Dec. 6 when St. John’s hits the road to take on league newcomer Marquette.

After two more non-conference games against Hofstra and Stony Brook, the team will head to San Diego for the Surf N’ Slam Holiday Classic on Dec. 28-30. The new year marks the time in the season where competition really heats up.

The Red Storm will have conference games vs. Notre Dame (Jan. 4), at Georgetown (Jan. 7), vs. Pittsburgh (Jan. 11), at Connecticut (Jan. 14), and at Cincinnati (Jan. 18).

Following those two exciting games at the Garden, St. John’s continues its Big East schedule at last year’s conference champion Rutgers’ home court on Feb. 1.

The team then come home to face South Florida (Feb. 4), Marquette (Feb. 8) and Louisville (Feb. 15).

The Red Storm then wrap up their road slate with a game at DePaul (Feb. 18) and Syracuse (Feb. 25). The regular-season finale will be Feb. 28 at Carnesecca Arena, when St. John’s hosts Seton Hall.

The 2005 Big East Tournament will be held March 5-8 at the Hartford Civic Center in Hartford, Conn.