Men’s golf places first at the McLaughlin

Men’s Golf

Over the weekend, St. John’s was able to show just how good they are, tying for first at the McLaughlin with Winthrop University.

On the first day, St. John’s pulled away from most of its Big East competition in the first round.

It took a lead of 13 strokes over Villanova, 22 strokes over Connecticut and 29 strokes over Seton Hall.

For St. John’s, sophomore Keegan Bradley and freshman Kevin Velardo both carded a 67, three below par. Senior Brian McArdle finished with 68 strokes.

They helped carry St. John’s through the first day in third place, trailing Winthrop and Akron.

In the second day of the tournament, Bradley led the Red Storm to victory, carding a 68 in the final round.

Other contributors for St. John’s included freshman Casey Calmi (72), McArdle (73), and Velardo (73). Trevor Muffley of Winthrop led his team with a 72,

Women’s Golf

St. John’s played the Princeton Invitational over the weekend and placed fifth out of 17 competing schools.

Christin Thomson, who carded a 77 and 76 in the two rounds, respectively, led the Red Storm in strokes. Individually, she placed seventh overall amongst low scorers. Freshman Brittany Lambertson carded a 156 over the two rounds to tie for ninth overall.

Maggie Stecuik and Jaclyn Sanders finished out St. John’s scoring with a 160 (tied for 17th overall) and a 170 (tied for 51st overall.)