St. John’s young goalkeeper combo making waves in Big East

The identity of the St. John’s women’s soccer team has been defined over the course of the season.

Although the offense has been anemic at times, the Johnnies have relied heavily on their stellar defense to keep them in games and allow them a chance to score.

Yet what many might have overlooked has been the exceptional performance of their goalies.

“Basically me and Becca (Capinera) have been working really hard and communicating with our defense,” goalkeeper Jamie Beran said. “We’re communicating so that we don’t have a hard time.”

Beran and Capinera have each collected over 700 minutes on the field and five shutouts this season.

The numbers depict the rest of their hard work.

Beran has played in 13 games, starting 10 games in which she has allowed just eight goals while recording 30 saves and a tie to her credit.

Beran has averaged just 1.01 goals allowed per contest.

Capinera has played in 14 games for the Johnnies, just two starts, but she has recorded 58 saves scattering 13 goals and a record of 3-3-1. She has put together a .817 saves percentage, allowing an average of 1.48 a contest. The job of a goalkeeper can be difficult, especially after allowing a goal.

However, the Storm keepers have worked diligently to not let that bother them.

“Basically, as a goal keeper, you have to forget about the last goal,” said Capinera. “You have to be on you’re ‘A’ game and get ready. There’s going to be another shot coming so you can’t dwell on what’s happened.”

The duo has gained attention this season in light of strong defense that has kept the Red Storm in almost every game.

Yet it is the goalies that will take the heat when something goes wrong, not the defense, something Capinera and Beran know will add pressure.

“As the keeper, if you make a mistake its in the back of the net,” said Capinera. “The forward, if she makes a mistake, it’s no big deal. That’s just how the game is.”

If that pressure doesn’t seem enough, the goalies have dealt with the stress of assuring the game is close when the offense is struggling.

“Its frustrating but you have to do what you have to do,” said Beran. “Control what you can control and help the team that way. Hopefully, if you do what you have to do, if the offense does there part, we’ll do our best on our part.”