Campus Spotlight: Aaron Doyle

It takes a certain amount of confidence for a high school student to fill out only one college application. As a high schooler, Aaron Doyle had this confidence. The current junior at St. John’s University liked the people he met when he visited St. John’s so much that he decided it was the perfect university for him.

“I also like the fact that it’s a Catholic university because that is my religion,” Doyle said.

The management major has wasted no time in involving himself in various activities on campus. He is currently the president of the Caribbean Student Association (CSA), a member of Project AIM and LEAP, an Orientation Coordinator, a Student Ambassador, and a diversity peer educator.

Along with his academic responsibilities, Doyle’s busy activity schedule leaves him with little spare time.

“I wake up at 7:00 a.m. and I don’t enter back into my dorm room until around 11:00 p.m.,” Doyle said. “My weekends are almost always full of events and tasks to complete. Sleeping is almost a privilege for me.”

Despite the lack of sleep that invariably accompanies the lifestyles of busy college students, Doyle values his leadership position on campus and works to pass the knowledge he’s gained to younger students.

As a leader of the Caribbean Student Association, the Cascade, Trinidad native encourages the organization to reach out to others. “The purpose of CSA is for Caribbean cultures to get together and not only act as a club but as a family too,” Doyle said. “We have very strong family values. It is an association open to all students with different types of backgrounds on campus.”

As a St. John’s student, Doyle has continuously worked toward establishing more unity among fellow students.

“There is way too much segregation on and off campus,” Doyle said. “I’d love to see more unity.”

While some fellow students characterize Doyle as a serious person who is constantly a little stressed and on the run, Doyle is a self-proclaimed joker.

“I am very carefree, but when it gets to the point of getting the job done I must get the job done well,” said Doyle, who lives by the quotation, “No progress without struggle.”

Still, Doyle likes to have a good time when he finishes his work responsibilities. He especially enjoys spending his limited free time watching soccer and New York Knicks games.

Doyle plans to apply the leadership skills he has acquired at St. John’s to his future career.

“I see myself working on an executive board for a major company directing and managing people,” Doyle said. “I also want to go back to Trinidad; I miss my home very much.”