Rock for Hope concert raises money for Give Them Hope

Sponsored by the Theater Honor Society Alpha Psi Omega, the Little Theatre hosted the second annual “Rock For Hope” concert. Local musicians performed at the show on Oct. 28 to help raise money for the Give Them Hope foundation.

The audience was rocked by four bands: Blind Robbery, Bound By Substance, Fearless, and Seven Caged Tigers. The bands performed original songs and did covers of favorites like The Who’s “Teenage Wasteland” and Pearl Jam’s “Alive” and “Better Man.”

The crowd brandished cell phones instead of lighters for a Woodstock reminiscent moment of unadulterated musical bliss.

The audience alternated between head banging and classic slow swaying lines. Band members played up to friends in the audience and catcalls from fans rang throughout the house.

For the few students stranded on campus for the weekend, the rowdy gathering was a welcomed break of silence.

A few spectators opted to sit quietly in the back and watch the loud group of students jumping inches away from the stage.

The idea of charity appealed to some people who attended more than the “rock” part did. Some people walked down to the theatre just to donate money, happy to see their contributions go to children charities. Give Them Hope promises “to provide comfort and support for children in need within the United States” through donations and volunteer work.

They investigate special cases and provide support through their network of professionals, including teachers, doctors and concerned parents or guardians, among others.

Give Them Hope has an innovative feedback policy ensuring that contributors have a face to associate with their efforts. The foundation helps children of all ages find loving families, safe homes, and productive school experiences.

The Give Them Hope Foster Care Program is the latest endeavor in child care improvement. The group attacks two areas of the foster care system, present foster children and future foster children. Money is donated to support families with multiple foster children while a model for child care is built upon.

Developing better child monitoring and parent screening methods can result in lower cases of abuse and encourage future prospective parents. The General Care Fund covers children affected by devastations such as fire, flood, or other natural disasters.

Children under extraordinary circumstances, like orphans or victims of rare diseases, are also provided for. Money given out by Give Them Hope is based on needs regardless of race, gender, religion, ethnic background or income.