Clark’s double-double shoots down Army

Angela Clark posted her second-straight double-double to lead the St. John’s women’s basketball team to a 74-55 victory over Army at Christl Arena on Sunday afternoon. Clark’s 19 points and 14 rebounds were both game-highs, and the Red Storm used a 16-6 late second-half run to secure its second win of the season.

St. John’s (2-0) had a balanced attack as three players were in double figures. Clark’s 19 points led the way, while Kia Wright netted 16 and Tara Walker added 10. Wright, who was whistled for two personal fouls within the first four minutes of the game, had to sit the remainder of the half but came back to score 14 second-half points. Walker, meanwhile, also grabbed four rebounds and came up with two steals.

The Red Storm built a 10-point first half lead behind Clark’s 14 points and eight rebounds. The junior forward was 6-for-8 in the first period and also added two steals.

St. John’s maintained its 10-point cushion until midway through the second half, when it went on a 16-6 run with 10 minutes remaining to build a 19-point, 64-45 lead with four minutes left to play.

Keying the run was Wright, who scored 10 points during that span.

From there, the Red Storm closed out the game to win by a final score of 74-55. St. John’s held a 36-26 rebounding advantage and shot better than 40 percent from the field.

Also having strong showings for the Red Storm was Tiina Sten (six points, two rebounds, one block), Greeba Barlow (nine points, two rebounds, three assists) and Danielle Chambers (nine points, four rebounds, one block, three steals)

Army (1-1) was led by sophomore guard Cara Enright, who netted 17 points while adding three rebounds and two steals.

The Red Storm is back in action when it travels to Monmouth for a 7 p.m. game on Wednesday. Following the Thanksgiving holiday, St. John’s returns to Carnesecca Arena for a Nov. 27 game vs. Niagara.

NOTES

This was the first meeting between St. John’s and Army since a Red Storm victory in the 1982-83 season … With the win, St. John’s improved its record in the all-time series to 6-3 … St. John’s opens the season with a 2-0 record for the second year in a row and wins its first road game of the season for the third year in a row … Freshman Angel Tate saw her first collegiate action and grabbed one rebound.