Torch Photo / Abigail Grieco
Surviving Senioritis as a Second-Semester Senior

Angel Tate

Freshman Angel Tate has always been the type of student to excel in every aspect of her life: she received letters all four years of high school as a basketball player and was team captain for both her junior and senior years.

On top of that, she was also on the AAU Alabama Twisters and on the 2004 South All Stars, was named one of the top 12 players in Alabama her senior year, was her class valedictorian, and is a devout Christian.

This 6-foot-2 basketball star was also offered scholarships to both Georgetown and Alabama State University, along with St. John’s.

To Tate, choosing a college with a good location was a big part of her decision. She also knew that St. John’s would offer her the best opportunities to show her abilities, both athletically and academically.

The choice was difficult, but her family fully supported her decision to go wherever she felt she had the best chance to show her basketball skills.

Tate started her basketball career at a young age simply because her family and friends commented on her height and how basketball is a good sport for tall people. She loved the game immediately and it became a serious part of her life.

She names her high school basketball coach and her father as her two biggest influences. They both motivated Tate to be a leader on and off the court.

Tate held that throughout her life, pushing herself to get involved in other activities such as her high school French club, National Honor Society, and the National Beta Society.

Since coming to St. John’s, Tate has been adapting to the differences in atmosphere between the South and the Northeast, saying that it was difficult at first, but that she is getting used to it.

Moving from Birmingham, Alabama, to Queens, N.Y. is a big transition and she says it only became easier through having faith in God and setting personal goals for herself.

“I will try my best here [in basketball] and also try to please the Lord because he’s the head of my life right now,” Tate said.

What other goals does Tate have for herself?

Tate says she wants to maintain a 3.5 GPA all four years.

Academics have always been important to her; basketball is something she loves to do, but not something she feels she can rely on for the rest of her life.

On the court, however, she’s working hard to achieve at least 20 minutes of playing time and average 15 to 20 points per game.

And on making the NCAA tournament?

“Yeah, that would be nice,” Tate laughed.

Added coach Kim Barnes Arico: “I think if we finished eight or above in our conference we’ve got a great shot of getting to the NCAA tournament. That’s tremendous. It’s puts a little pressure on us, but that’s what it’s all about.”